Dr. Gupta received both his B.A. in Biochemistry and Ph.D. in Pharmacology from the University of Pennsylvania. His doctoral work focused on the transcriptional mechanisms controlling the function and expansion of pancreatic beta cells. He then moved to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, MA where he trained as a postdoctoral fellow studying the transcriptional mechanisms governing adipocyte specification and differentiation. Dr. Gupta joined the Touchstone Diabetes Center in 2012. The Gupta laboratory focuses on the molecular and developmental mechanisms controlling adipose tissue development and expansion in obesity.
- University of Pennsylvania (2001), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of Pennsylvania (2006), Pharmacology
- Adipocyte Development
- Cell Differentiation
- Transcriptional Regulation
- Directing visceral white adipocyte precursors to a thermogenic adipocyte fate improves insulin sensitivity in obese mice.
- Hepler C, Shao M, Xia JY, Ghaben AL, Pearson MJ, Vishvanath L, Sharma AX, Morley TS, Holland WL, Gupta RK Elife 2017 Jul 6
- PARP-1 Controls the Adipogenic Transcriptional Program by PARylating C/EBPß and Modulating Its Transcriptional Activity.
- Luo X, Ryu KW, Kim DS, Nandu T, Medina CJ, Gupte R, Gibson BA, Soccio RE, Yu Y, Gupta RK, Kraus WL Mol. Cell 2017 Jan 65 2 260-271
- Regeneration of fat cells from myofibroblasts during wound healing.
- Plikus MV, Guerrero-Juarez CF, Ito M, Li YR, Dedhia PH, Zheng Y, Shao M, Gay DL, Ramos R, His TC, Oh JW, Wang X, Ramirez A, Konopelski SE, Elzein A, Wang A, Supapannachart RJ, Lee HL, Lim CH, Nace A, Guo A, Treffeisen E, Andl T, Ramirez RN, Murad R, Offermanns S, Metzger D, Chambon P, Widgerow AD, Tuan TL, Mortazavi A, Gupta RK, Hamilton BA, Millar SE, Seale P, Pear WS, Lazar MA, Cotsarelis G Science 2017 Jan
- Fetal development of subcutaneous white adipose tissue is dependent on Zfp423.
- Shao M, Hepler C, Vishvanath L, MacPherson KA, Busbuso NC, Gupta RK Mol Metab 2017 Jan 6 1 111-124
- Sorting out adipocyte precursors and their role in physiology and disease.
- Hepler C, Vishvanath L, Gupta RK Genes Dev. 2017 Jan 31 2 127-140
- The expanding problem of adipose depot remodeling and postnatal adipocyte progenitor recruitment.
- Hepler C, Gupta RK Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 2016 Oct
- Connexin 43 Mediates White Adipose Tissue Beiging by Facilitating the Propagation of Sympathetic Neuronal Signals.
- Zhu Y, Gao Y, Tao C, Shao M, Zhao S, Huang W, Yao T, Johnson JA, Liu T, Cypess AM, Gupta O, Holland WL, Gupta RK, Spray DC, Tanowitz HB, Cao L, Lynes MD, Tseng YH, Elmquist JK, Williams KW, Lin HV, Scherer PE Cell Metab. 2016 Sep 24 3 420-33
- Zfp423 Maintains White Adipocyte Identity through Suppression of the Beige Cell Thermogenic Gene Program.
- Shao M, Ishibashi J, Kusminski CM, Wang QA, Hepler C, Vishvanath L, MacPherson KA, Spurgin SB, Sun K, Holland WL, Seale P, Gupta RK Cell Metab. 2016 May
- Pdgfrß(+) Mural Preadipocytes Contribute to Adipocyte Hyperplasia Induced by High-Fat-Diet Feeding and Prolonged Cold Exposure in Adult Mice.
- Vishvanath L, MacPherson KA, Hepler C, Wang QA, Shao M, Spurgin SB, Wang MY, Kusminski CM, Morley TS, Gupta RK Cell Metab. 2015 Nov
- Distinct regulatory mechanisms governing embryonic versus adult adipocyte maturation.
- Wang QA, Tao C, Jiang L, Shao M, Ye R, Zhu Y, Gordillo R, Ali A, Lian Y, Holland WL, Gupta RK, Scherer PE Nat. Cell Biol. 2015 Sep 17 9 1099-111
Honors & Awards
- The Hartwell Foundation
2016 Individual Biomedical Research Award (2017)
- Grossman Award for Excellence in Diabetes Research
- Searle Scholar
- NIH Mentor-based Career Development Award (K01)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA)