Roy J. Heyne, M.D. is Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, with over 30 years experience in general pediatrics, including nutrition, developmental and behavioral medicine, and high risk infant follow-up. As Medical Director of the Low Birth Weight Clinic at Childrens Medical Center in Dallas, he oversees comprehensive, multi-disciplinary clinical follow-up of high-risk infants, participates in multiple national research projects, and provides education for a broad spectrum of medical trainees and staff. He is co-founder of the Low Birth Weight Development Center, and as Board Vice President he continues to oversee its provision of psychosocial-educational services to high-risk infants and their families. In the area of medical administration, he serves as Medical Director of Quality for Childrens Medical Center, with over 25 years experience in quality management.
- Medical School
- University of Colorado School of Medicine (1974)
- Saint Joseph Hospital - Denver, CO (1975), Rotating
- Children's Health (CMC) (1978), Pediatrics
- Interrater reliability and effect of state on blood pressure measurements in infants 1 to 3 years of age.
- Duncan AF, Rosenfeld CR, Morgan JS, Ahmad N, Heyne RJ Pediatrics 2008 Sep 122 3 e590-4
- Neurodevelopmental outcomes of premature infants with severe respiratory failure enrolled in a randomized controlled trial of inhaled nitric oxide.
- Hintz SR, Van Meurs KP, Perritt R, Poole WK, Das A, Stevenson DK, Ehrenkranz RA, Lemons JA, Vohr BR, Heyne R, Childers DO, Peralta-Carcelen M, Dusick A, Johnson YR, Morris B, Dillard R, Vaucher Y, Steichen J, Adams-Chapman I, Konduri G, Myers GJ, de Ungria M, Tyson JE, Higgins RD J. Pediatr. 2007 Jul 151 1 16-22, 22.e1-3
- Comprehensive follow-up care and life-threatening illnesses among high-risk infants: A randomized controlled trial.
- Broyles RS, Tyson JE, Heyne ET, Heyne RJ, Hickman JF, Swint M, Adams SS, West LA, Pomeroy N, Hicks PJ, Ahn C JAMA 2000 Oct 284 16 2070-6
- Growth Outcomes of Preterm Infants Exposed to Different Oxygen Saturation Target Ranges from Birth.
- Navarrete CT, Wrage LA, Carlo WA, Walsh MC, Rich W, Gantz MG, Das A, Schibler K, Newman NS, Piazza AJ, Poindexter BB, Shankaran S, Sánchez PJ, Morris BH, Frantz ID, Van Meurs KP, Cotten CM, Ehrenkranz RA, Bell EF, Watterberg KL, Higgins RD, Duara S J. Pediatr. 2016 Jun
- Language outcomes among ELBW infants in early childhood.
- Adams-Chapman I, Bann C, Carter SL, Stoll BJ Early Hum. Dev. 2015 Jun 91 6 373-9
- Developmental outcomes of extremely preterm infants born to adolescent mothers.
- Hoffman L, Bann C, Higgins R, Vohr B Pediatrics 2015 Jun 135 6 1082-92
- Cognitive Outcomes After Neonatal Encephalopathy.
- Pappas A, Shankaran S, McDonald SA, Vohr BR, Hintz SR, Ehrenkranz RA, Tyson JE, Yolton K, Das A, Bara R, Hammond J, Higgins RD Pediatrics 2015 Feb
- Neuroimaging and neurodevelopmental outcome in extremely preterm infants.
- Hintz SR, Barnes PD, Bulas D, Slovis TL, Finer NN, Wrage LA, Das A, Tyson JE, Stevenson DK, Carlo WA, Walsh MC, Laptook AR, Yoder BA, Van Meurs KP, Faix RG, Rich W, Newman NS, Cheng H, Heyne RJ, Vohr BR, Acarregui MJ, Vaucher YE, Pappas A, Peralta-Carcelen M, Wilson-Costello DE, Evans PW, Goldstein RF, Myers GJ, Poindexter BB, McGowan EC, Adams-Chapman I, Fuller J, Higgins RD Pediatrics 2015 Jan 135 1 e32-42
- Effect of depth and duration of cooling on deaths in the NICU among neonates with hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy: a randomized clinical trial.
- Shankaran S, Laptook AR, Pappas A, McDonald SA, Das A, Tyson JE, Poindexter BB, Schibler K, Bell EF, Heyne RJ, Pedroza C, Bara R, Van Meurs KP, Grisby C, Huitema CM, Garg M, Ehrenkranz RA, Shepherd EG, Chalak LF, Hamrick SE, Khan AM, Reynolds AM, Laughon MM, Truog WE, Dysart KC, Carlo WA, Walsh MC, Watterberg KL, Higgins RD JAMA 2014 Dec 24-31 312 24 2629-39
- PaCO2 in Surfactant, Positive Pressure, and Oxygenation Randomised Trial (SUPPORT).
- Ambalavanan N, Carlo WA, Wrage LA, Das A, Laughon M, Cotten CM, Kennedy KA, Laptook AR, Shankaran S, Walsh MC, Higgins RD Arch. Dis. Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2014 Nov
Honors & Awards
- ARCH Employee of the Month
- Top Ten Teacher in Department of Pediatrics
- Mead Johnson National Pediatric Scholar
- Senior Clinician of the Year NCTIPA
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (2004)