Sandra Schmid was born in Vancouver, Canada and received her B.Sc. Degree (Honours) in Cell Biology at the University of British Columbia. She moved to the U.S. in 1980 for graduate studies with Jim Rothman at Stanford University. She was a Helen Hay Whitney postdoctoral fellow and Lucille P. Markey Scholar with Ira Mellman and Ari Helenius at Yale, and moved to The Scripps Research Institute as an Assistant Professor in 1988. She served as Chairman of the Department of Cell Biology at TSRI from 2000-2012, before being recruited to UTSW. Schmid is a leader in the scientific community. She was co-founding editor of Traffic, Editor-in-Chief of Molecular Biology of the Cell and President of the American Society for Cell Biology. She has received numerous awards, including an ASCB/WICB Jr. Career Recognition Award, an NIH MERIT Award and the William C. Rose Award from the ASBMB. Schmid is committed to mentoring young scientists and gives frequent career development and time management seminars to postdoctoral fellows and junior faculty throughout the US. As a mother of two, now college-aged children, she remembers fondly coaching their soccer teams, going on family RV trips and attending their recitals. Schmid's research, published in >130 papers, is directed towards elucidating the molecular mechanisms and regulation of clathrin-mediated endocytosis, and analyzing the structure and function of the GTPase, dynamin.
- University of British Columbia (1980), Cell Biology
- Graduate School
- Stanford University (1985), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of San Diego (2009)
- Mechanisms governing and regulation of clathrin-mediated endocytosis
- Structure and Function of the GTPase Dynamin
- A systematic analysis reveals heterogeneous changes in the endocytic activities of cancer cells.
- Elkin SR, Bendris N, Reis C, Zhou Y, Xie Y, Huffman KE, Minna JD, Schmid SL Cancer Res. 2015 Sep
- Crosstalk between Akt/GSK3ß signaling and dynamin-1 regulates clathrin-mediated endocytosis.
- Reis CR, Chen PH, Srinivasan S, Aguet F, Mettlen M, Schmid SL EMBO J. 2015 Jul
- A hemi-fission intermediate links two mechanistically distinct stages of membrane fission.
- Mattila JP, Shnyrova AV, Sundborger AC, Hortelano ER, Fuhrmans M, Neumann S, Müller M, Hinshaw JE, Schmid SL, Frolov VA Nature 2015 Jun
- Advances in Analysis of Low Signal-to-Noise Images Link Dynamin and AP2 to the Functions of an Endocytic Checkpoint.
- Aguet F, Antonescu CN, Mettlen M, Schmid SL, Danuser G Dev. Cell 2013 Jul
- Measuring the hierarchy of molecular events during clathrin-mediated endocytosis.
- Loerke D, Mettlen M, Schmid SL, Danuser G Traffic 2011 Jul 12 7 815-25