Eric Mortensen, MD, MSc, is a Professor of Internal Medicine and Clinical Sciences and Chief of General Internal Medicine at the VA North Texas Health Care System. He is a general internist who completed a Fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh in health services and outcomes research. His research interests include community-acquired pneumonia, pharmacoepidemiology, and improving the quality of hospital care. His current research projects include implementing inpatient clinical reminders to improve pneumonia care in the Veterans Administration healthcare system and examining whether statins and/or ACE inhibitors improve clinical outcomes for patients with pneumonia. He is also Co-director of the UT Southwestern Fellowship in General Internal Medicine.
- Arizona State University (1992), History
- Medical School
- Drexel University (1996), Medicine
- Graduate School
- University of Pittsburgh Main (2001), Clinical Research
- Community-acquired Respiratory Infections
- Outcomes Research
- Use of Administrative Databases for Research
- Observational study of inhaled corticosteroids on outcomes for COPD patients with pneumonia.
- Chen D, Restrepo MI, Fine MJ, Pugh MJ, Anzueto A, Metersky ML, Nakashima B, Good C, Mortensen EM Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2011 Aug 184 3
- Causes of death for patients with community-acquired pneumonia: results from the Pneumonia Patient Outcomes Research Team cohort study.
- Mortensen EM, Coley CM, Singer DE, Marrie TJ, Obrosky DS, Kapoor WN, Fine MJ Arch. Intern. Med. 2002 May 162 9
- Association of azithromycin with mortality and cardiovascular events among older patients hospitalized with pneumonia.
- Mortensen EM, Halm EA, Pugh MJ, Copeland LA, Metersky M, Fine MJ, Johnson CS, Alvarez CA, Frei CR, Good C, Restrepo MI, Downs JR, Anzueto A JAMA 2014 Jun 311 21 2199-208
- The association of cardioprotective medications with pneumonia-related outcomes.
- Wu A, Good C, Downs JR, Fine MJ, Pugh MJ, Anzueto A, Mortensen EM PLoS ONE 2014 9 1 e85797
- Statins and musculoskeletal conditions, arthropathies, and injuries.
- Mansi I, Frei CR, Pugh MJ, Makris U, Mortensen EM JAMA Intern Med 2013 Jul 173 14 1318-26
- Population-based study of statins, angiotensin II receptor blockers, and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors on pneumonia-related outcomes.
- Mortensen EM, Nakashima B, Cornell J, Copeland LA, Pugh MJ, Anzueto A, Good C, Restrepo MI, Downs JR, Frei CR, Fine MJ Clin. Infect. Dis. 2012 Dec 55 11 1466-73
- Diagnosis of pulmonary malignancy after hospitalization for pneumonia.
- Mortensen EM, Copeland LA, Pugh MJ, Fine MJ, Nakashima B, Restrepo MI, de Molina RM, Anzueto A Am. J. Med. 2010 Jan 123 1
- Antibiotic therapy and 48-hour mortality for patients with pneumonia.
- Mortensen EM, Restrepo MI, Anzueto A, Pugh JA Am. J. Med. 2006 Oct 119 10
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Mentorship Award
UTSW Center for Translational Medicine (2015)
- Association of Chief and Leaders in General Internal Medicine (2011)
- European Respiratory Society (2010)
- American Thoracic Society (2008)
- Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (2006)
- Society of General Internal Medicine (1998)
- American College of Physicians (1997)