- Medical School
- Duke University (1988)
- Wilford Hall Medical Center (1991), Pediatrics
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (1994), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Elucidating molecular mechanisms for Arf-dependent regulation of vascular involution during eye development and tumor angiogenesis.
- Studying the molecular basis for how persistent expression of cyclin D1 in mouse photoreceptors and pinealocytes disrupts normal eye development and leads to tumor formation as a novel model for retinoblastoma and pineoblastoma.
- Treatment of children with aggressive fibromatosis using minimally-toxic therapy.
- Understanding molecular and genetic mechanisms for coordinating the initiation of differentiation with cell proliferation arrest in skeletal myoblasts and determining whether the manipulation of these programs alters the biology of rhabdomyosarcoma-derived cells.
- The Role of Childhood Infections and Immunizations on Childhood Rhabdomyosarcoma: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group.
- Sankaran H, Danysh HE, Scheurer ME, Okcu MF, Skapek SX, Hawkins DS, Spector LG, Erhardt EB, Grufferman S, Lupo PJ Pediatr Blood Cancer 2016 May
- Current state of pediatric sarcoma biology and opportunities for future discovery: A report from the sarcoma translational research workshop.
- Hingorani P, Janeway K, Crompton BD, Kadoch C, Mackall CL, Khan J, Shern JF, Schiffman J, Mirabello L, Savage SA, Ladanyi M, Meltzer P, Bult CJ, Adamson PC, Lupo PJ, Mody R, DuBois SG, Parsons DW, Khanna C, Lau C, Hawkins DS, Randall RL, Smith M, Sorensen PH, Plon SE, Skapek SX, Lessnick S, Gorlick R, Reed DR Cancer Genet 2016 May 209 5 182-94
- Histology, Fusion Status, and Outcome in Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma With Low-Risk Clinical Features: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group.
- Arnold MA, Anderson JR, Gastier-Foster JM, Barr FG, Skapek SX, Hawkins DS, Raney RB, Parham DM, Teot LA, Rudzinski ER, Walterhouse DO Pediatr Blood Cancer 2016 Jan
- p19(Arf) limits primary vitreous cell proliferation driven by PDGF-B.
- Iqbal NS, Devitt CC, Sung CY, Skapek SX Exp. Eye Res. 2016 Jan 145 224-229
- Negative regulation of initial steps in skeletal myogenesis by mTOR and other kinases.
- Wilson RA, Liu J, Xu L, Annis J, Helmig S, Moore G, Timmerman C, Grandori C, Zheng Y, Skapek SX Sci Rep 2016 6 20376
- Clinical Application of Prognostic Gene Expression Signature in Fusion Gene-Negative Rhabdomyosarcoma: A Report from the Children's Oncology Group.
- Hingorani P, Missiaglia E, Shipley J, Anderson JR, Triche TJ, Delorenzi M, Gastier-Foster J, Wing M, Hawkins DS, Skapek SX Clin. Cancer Res. 2015 Oct 21 20 4733-9
- The World Health Organization Classification of Skeletal Muscle Tumors in Pediatric Rhabdomyosarcoma: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group.
- Rudzinski ER, Anderson JR, Hawkins DS, Skapek SX, Parham DM, Teot LA Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 2015 May
- Family history of cancer and childhood rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group and the Utah Population Database.
- Lupo PJ, Danysh HE, Plon SE, Curtin K, Malkin D, Hettmer S, Hawkins DS, Skapek SX, Spector LG, Papworth K, Melin B, Erhardt EB, Grufferman S, Schiffman JD Cancer Med 2015 Mar
- Clonality and evolutionary history of rhabdomyosarcoma.
- Chen L, Shern JF, Wei JS, Yohe ME, Song YK, Hurd L, Liao H, Catchpoole D, Skapek SX, Barr FG, Hawkins DS, Khan J PLoS Genet. 2015 Mar 11 3 e1005075
- HaDuong JH, Martin AA, Skapek SX, Mascarenhas L Pediatr. Clin. North Am. 2015 Feb 62 1 179-200
Myogenesis and Rhabdomyosarcoma: The Jekyll and Hyde of Skeletal Muscle. In Dyer M, ed. Current Topics in Developmental Biology: Cancer and Development. 1st ed.
Saab R, Spunt SL, Skapek SX. (2011). Elsevier; 197-234.
Non-Rhabdomyosarcoma Soft Tissue Sarcomas. In Pappo A, ed. Pediatric Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcomas. 1st ed.
Spunt SL, Wolden SL, Schofield DE, Skapek SX. (2009). Springer; 134-163.
Molecular Biology of Cancer: The Cell Cycle. In DeVita VT, Hellman S, Rosenburg SA, eds. Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology. 6th ed.
Kastan MB, Skapek SX. (2001). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Magazine (2015)
- Distinguished Professorship in Pediatric Oncology Research
Childrens Cancer Fund (2011)
- Research Scholar Award
American Cancer Society (2004)
- Medical Research Award
G and P Foundation for Cancer Research (1999)
- Clinical Investigator Development Award (K08)
- Achievement Medal
United States Air Force (1992)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2008)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2008)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (2006)
- Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study Group (1999-2000)
- Pediatric Oncology Group/Children's Oncology Group (1997)