- Southern Methodist University (1966)
- Graduate School
- University of Oklahoma Norman Campus (1967)
- Graduate School
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (1972)
- Blood biomarkers are being sought for Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease and autism. Blood samples from patients with these diseases are analyzed to identify potential antibody and protein biomarkers that can be used to diagnose the diseases, and possibly identify the diseases before symptoms occur.
- Environmental links to neurodegenerative disease: role of pesticides. Pesticide exposure (e.g., Lindane and DDT) may be responsible for some cases of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.
- Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease are studied to understand the mechanisms responsible for neurodegeneration. Blood and brain tissue from patients and animal models of these diseases are used.
- Identification of candidate IgG biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease via combinatorial library screening.
- Reddy MM, Wilson R, Wilson J, Connell S, Gocke A, Hynan L, German D, Kodadek T. Cell 2011 144 132-142
- Elevated pesticide levels in the serum are associated with increased risk for Parkinson's disease.
- Richardson, J.R., Shalat, S.L., Buckley, B., Winnik, B., OSuilleabhain, P., Diaz-Arrastia, R., Reisch, J., German, D.C. Arch. Neurol. 2009 66 (7) 870-875
- Validation of a serum screen for Alzheimer's disease across assay platforms, species and tissue.
- O'Bryant SE, Xiao G, Zhang F, Edwards ML, German DC, Yin X, Como T, Reisch J, Huebinger HM, Graff-Radford N, Dickson D, Barber RC, Hall J, O?Suilleabhain P, Grammas P. 2014
- Neuropathology and animal models of autism: genetic and environmental factors.
- Gadad BS, Hewitson L, Young KA, German DC. 2013
- Apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1 mediates MPTP toxicity and regulates glial activation.
- Lee K-W, Zhao X, Im J-Y, Grosso H, Jang WH, Chan TW, Sonsalla PK, German DC, Ichijo H, Junn E, Mouradian MM. 2012
- Beta-hexachlorocyclohexane levels in serum and risk of Parkinson's disease.
- Richardson JR, Roy A, Shalat SL, Buckley B, Winnik B, Gearing M, Levey AI, Factor SA, O?Suilleabhain P, German DC. 2011
- Stereotaxic near-infrared probe for localization during functional neurosurgical procedures: further experience.
- Giller, C.A., Liu, H., German, D.C., Dewey, R.B. J. Neurosurgery 2009 110 263-273
- Chronic intraventricular administration of 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium as a progressive model of Parkinson's disease.
- Sonsalla, P.K., Zeevalk, G., German, D.C. Parkinsonism & Related Disorders 2008 14 Suppl 2 116-118
- Mouse models of Alzheimer's disease.
- D.C. German In - A-beta peptide and Alzheimers disease. C. J. Barrow and D. H. Small, eds. Springer Verlag, London. 2007 Chapter 16 259-273
- Serum biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease: proteomic discovery.
- German DC, Gurnani P, Nandi A, Garner HR, Fisher W, Diaz-Arrastia R, O’Suilleabhain P, Rosenblatt KP. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 2007 61 383-389
Honors & Awards
- Grant Reviewer for New Jersey Governors Council for Medical Research and Treatment of Autism
- Nominator for Kyoto Prize
- Grant Review Committee, Alzheimer's Association
- Editorial Board, Current Molecular Pharmacology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Society for Neuroscience