- Southern Methodist University (1966), Psychology
- Graduate School
- University of Oklahoma (1967), Experimental Psychology
- Graduate School
- University of Oklahoma-Hlth Sc (1972), Neuroscience
- Blood biomarkers are being sought for Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease and autism. Blood samples from patients with these diseases are analyzed to identify potential antibody and protein biomarkers that can be used to diagnose the diseases, and possibly identify the diseases before symptoms occur.
- Environmental links to neurodegenerative disease: role of pesticides. Pesticide exposure (e.g., Lindane and DDT) may be responsible for some cases of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.
- Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease are studied to understand the mechanisms responsible for neurodegeneration. Blood and brain tissue from patients and animal models of these diseases are used.
- Identification of candidate IgG biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease via combinatorial library screening.
- Reddy MM, Wilson R, Wilson J, Connell S, Gocke A, Hynan L, German D, Kodadek T. Cell 2011 144 132-142
- Elevated pesticide levels in the serum are associated with increased risk for Parkinson's disease.
- Richardson, J.R., Shalat, S.L., Buckley, B., Winnik, B., OSuilleabhain, P., Diaz-Arrastia, R., Reisch, J., German, D.C. Arch. Neurol. 2009 66 (7) 870-875
- The NINDS Parkinson's disease biomarker program.
- Rosenthal LS, Drake D, Alcalay R, Babcock D, Bowman FD, Chen-Plotkin A, Dawson TM, Dewey RB, German DC, Huang X, Landin B, McAuliffe M, Petyuk V, Scherzer CR, St. Hillaire-Clarke C, Sieber B-A, Sutherland M, Tarn C, West A, Vaillancourt D, Zhang J, Zhang R, Gwinn K, on behalf of the PDBP consortium Movement Disorders 2016
- A search for blood biomarkers for autism: peptoids.
- Zaman S, Yazdani U, Deng Y, Li W, Gadad B, Hynan, L, Karp D, Roatch N, Schutte C, Marti CN, Hewitson L, German DC. Scientific Reports 2016
- Administration of thimerosal-containing vaccines to infant rhesus macaques does not result in autism-like behavior or neuropathology.
- Gadad B, Li W, Yazdani U, Grady S, Johnson T, Hammond J, Gunn H, Curtis B, English C, Yutuc V, Ferrier C, Sackett G, Marti N, Young KA, Hewitson L, German DC. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2015
- Klotho protects dopaminergic neurons in vivo via ASK1 and p38 MAPK signaling pathways.
- Brobey RK, German D, Sonsalla PK, Gurmani P, Pastor J, Papaconstantinou J, Foster PP, Kuro-o M, Rosenblatt KP. PLoS One 2015
- Validation of a serum screen for Alzheimer's disease across assay platforms, species and tissue.
- O'Bryant SE, Xiao G, Zhang F, Edwards ML, German DC, Yin X, Como T, Reisch J, Huebinger HM, Graff-Radford N, Dickson D, Barber RC, Hall J, O?Suilleabhain P, Grammas P. J. Alzheimer's Dis. 2014 42
- Neuropathology and animal models of autism: genetic and environmental factors.
- Gadad BS, Hewitson L, Young KA, German DC. Autism Research and Treatment 2013
Honors & Awards
- Editorial Board, npj Parkinson's Disease
- Grant Reviewer for New Jersey Governors Council for Medical Research and Treatment of Autism
- Editorial Board, Current Molecular Pharmacology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Society for Neuroscience