Christine Kim Garcia received both her medical and graduate degrees from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in 1996 and is currently an Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and a member of the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. She cares for patients seen in the UT Southwestern Advanced Lung Disease Clinic, Clements University Hospital and Parkland Memorial Hospital.
She is a also a member of the Eugene McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development. She directs a research laboratory that focuses on defining the genetic underpinnings of adult-onset lung disease. Her laboratory has discovered rare mutations in different genes that lead to inherited forms of interstitial lung disease. These discoveries have highlighted the link between idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), aging and telomere dysfunction. She is a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation.
- Undergraduate School
- Texas A&M University (1988)
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2001), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Pulmonary Diseases & Critical Care Medicine
- Familial Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Familial Spontaneous Pneumothorax
- Inherited Lung Disease
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Telomerase Dysfunction
- Genetic determinants of adult lung disease
- Telomere-related pulmonary fibrosis
- Effect of Leukocyte Telomere Length on Total and Regional Brain Volumes in a Large Population-Based Cohort.
- King KS, Kozlitina J, Rosenberg RN, Peshock RM, McColl RW, Garcia CK JAMA Neurol 2014 Aug
- Effect of telomere length on survival in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: an observational cohort study with independent validation.
- Stuart BD, Lee JS, Kozlitina J, Noth I, Devine MS, Glazer CS, Torres F, Kaza V, Girod CE, Jones KD, Elicker BM, Ma SF, Vij R, Collard HR, Wolters PJ, Garcia CK Lancet Respir Med 2014 Jun
- Red blood cell size is inversely associated with leukocyte telomere length in a large multi-ethnic population.
- Kozlitina J, Garcia CK PLoS ONE 2012 7 12 e51046
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: update on genetic discoveries.
- Garcia CK Proc Am Thorac Soc 2011 May 8 2 158-62
- Subclinical Lung Disease, Macrocytosis and Premature Graying in Kindreds with Telomerase (TERT) Mutations.
- Diaz de Leon A, Cronkhite JT, Yilmaz C, Brewington C, Wang R, Xing C, Hsia CC, Garcia CK Chest 2011 Feb 753-63
- Telomere lengths, pulmonary fibrosis and telomerase (TERT) mutations.
- Diaz de Leon A, Cronkhite JT, Katzenstein AL, Godwin JD, Raghu G, Glazer CS, Rosenblatt RL, Girod CE, Garrity ER, Xing C, Garcia CK PLoS ONE 2010 5 5 e10680
- Genetic defects in surfactant protein A2 are associated with pulmonary fibrosis and lung cancer.
- Wang Y, Kuan PJ, Xing C, Cronkhite JT, Torres F, Rosenblatt RL, DiMaio JM, Kinch LN, Grishin NV, Garcia CK Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2009 Jan 84 1 52-9
- Telomere shortening in familial and sporadic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Cronkhite JT, Xing C, Raghu G, Chin KM, Torres F, Rosenblatt RL, Garcia CK Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2008 Oct 178 7 729-37
- Adult-onset pulmonary fibrosis caused by mutations in telomerase.
- Tsakiri KD, Cronkhite JT, Kuan PJ, Xing C, Raghu G, Weissler JC, Rosenblatt RL, Shay JW, Garcia CK Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2007 May 104 18 7552-7
- Nonsense mutations in folliculin presenting as isolated familial spontaneous pneumothorax in adults.
- Graham RB, Nolasco M, Peterlin B, Garcia CK Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2005 Jul 172 1 39-44
Genetic Interstitial Lung Disease. In Clinics in Chest Medicine:
Devine MS and Garcia CK (2012). Elsevier, Inc.
Honors & Awards
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Clinical Scientist Development Award
- President's Research Council Young Investigator Award
- Charles E. Culpeper Medical Scholar
- Parker B. Francis Fellowship
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (2012)
- American Thoracic Society (2007)
- American Society of Human Genetics (2006)