Dr. Norman Gant is a world-renowned expert on hypertension in pregnancy and a pioneer in the study of vascular responsiveness to angiotensin II in human pregnancy.
A 1964 graduate of Southwestern Medical School, he completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Parkland Memorial Hospital (1965–1968) under the direction of Jack Arthur Pritchard, M.D. Appointed to the OB/GYN faculty in 1968, he continued his studies in reproductive physiology under Dr. Pritchard (1968–1970) and Dr. Paul C. MacDonald (1972–1973).
Dr. Gant became the fourth Chairman of Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1977 and held that position through May 1983. During his tenure, deliveries at Parkland Memorial Hospital went from 8,620 to 11,244, and services were expanded to include genetic counseling for risks of hereditary diseases. With the Board of Regents’ approval to build an ambulatory care teaching center at UT Southwestern, the Department also made plans to expand its private referral services.
Following his resignation as Chair, Dr. Gant continued covering the high-risk pregnancy unit at Parkland Memorial Hospital, teaching trainees, and doing research. He was active nationally and internationally. And, in 1993, he succeeded James Merrill, M.D., as Executive Director of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, a position he held until December 31, 2009. On January 1, 2010, he became the second department chairman and the fourth faculty member to be named Professor Emeritus of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- University of North Texas (1962)
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1964)
- Pregnancy Induced Hypertension
- Pursuit of accredited subspecialties by graduating residents in obstetrics and gynecology, 2000-2012.
- Rayburn WF, Gant NF, Gilstrap LC, Elwell EC, Williams SB Obstet Gynecol 2012 Sep 120 3 619-25
- Ten specialty boards report accomplishments and plans: part II.
- Abcarian H, Gant NF, Beaty JH, Lewis FR, Gardner TJ Bull Am Coll Surg 2005 Apr 90 4 27-40
- It's always pleasing.
- Gant NF J. Soc. Gynecol. Investig. 2005 Jan 12 1 1
- Initiation of human parturition. I. Mechanism of action of arachidonic acid.
- MacDonald PC, Schultz FM, Duenhoelter JH, Gant NF, Jimenez JM, Pritchard JA, Porter JC, Johnston JM Obstet Gynecol 1974 Nov 44 5 629-36
- The nature of pressor responsiveness to angiotensin II in human pregnancy.
- Gant NF, Chand S, Whalley PJ, MacDonald PC Obstet Gynecol 1974 Jun 43 6 854
- Nonoliguric renal failure. Report of a case.
- Gant NF, Whalley PJ, Baxter CR Obstet Gynecol 1969 Nov 34 5 675-9
Honors & Awards
- The 50th Anniversary Award of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation
- The Baden-Gibbs Award from the Texas Association of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Elected to the Institute of Medicine of National Academy of Science
- Career Achievement Award, The Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Ourstanding Alumnus, The University of North Texas
- Inducted as Fellow ad Eundem of The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, London, England
- Leon Chesley Award of the International Society for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Medical Association
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- International Society for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy