Dr. Jia is originally from China. She obtained her B.S. and M.S. degrees from Fudan University in 2002 and 2005, respectively. She then relocated to the U.S. and received her Ph.D. at Wake Forest University School of Medicine in 2010. Upon graduation, she conducted postdoctoral research with Dr. Joel Elmquist in the Division of Hypothalamic Research in the Department of Internal Medicine here at UT Southwestern. Dr. Jia specializes in lipid metabolism, inflammation and insulin resistance. Her current research focuses on the investigation of hepatocyte-mediated inflammation in disease development, including hepatic fat accumulation, glucose dysregulation and energy imbalance.
- Graduate School
- Wake Forest University (2010), Pathology
- Glucose Homeostasis
- Insulin Resistance
- Non-alcoholic and Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Short-Term vs. Long-Term Effects of Adipocyte Toll-like Receptor 4 Activation on Insulin Resistance in Male Mice.
- Tao C, Holland WL, Wang QA, Shao M, Jia L, Sun K, Lin X, Kuo YC, Johnson JA, Gordillo R, Elmquist JK, Scherer PE Endocrinology 2017 Feb
- Genetic demonstration of intestinal NPC1L1 as a major determinant of hepatic cholesterol and blood atherogenic lipoprotein levels.
- Xie P, Zhu H, Jia L, Ma Y, Tang W, Wang Y, Xue B, Shi H, Yu L Atherosclerosis 2014 Dec 237 2 609-17
- Inhibiting DNA Methylation by 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine Ameliorates Atherosclerosis Through Suppressing Macrophage Inflammation.
- Cao Q, Wang X, Jia L, Mondal AK, Diallo A, Hawkins GA, Das SK, Parks JS, Yu L, Shi H, Shi H, Xue B Endocrinology 2014 Sep en20141595
- PPAR? in Vagal Neurons Regulates High-Fat Diet Induced Thermogenesis.
- Liu C, Bookout AL, Lee S, Sun K, Jia L, Lee C, Udit S, Deng Y, Scherer PE, Mangelsdorf DJ, Gautron L, Elmquist JK Cell Metab. 2014 Apr 19 4 722-30
- Hepatocyte Toll-like receptor 4 regulates obesity-induced inflammation and insulin resistance.
- Jia L, Vianna CR, Fukuda M, Berglund ED, Liu C, Tao C, Sun K, Liu T, Harper MJ, Lee CE, Lee S, Scherer PE, Elmquist JK Nat Commun 2014 5 3878
- Ezetimibe inhibits hepatic niemann-pick c1-like 1 to facilitate macrophage reverse cholesterol transport in mice.
- Xie P, Jia L, Ma Y, Ou J, Miao H, Wang N, Guo F, Yazdanyar A, Jiang XC, Yu L Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2013 May 33 5 920-5
- Niemann-pick C1-like 1 (NPC1L1) protein in intestinal and hepatic cholesterol transport.
- Jia L, Betters JL, Yu L Annu. Rev. Physiol. 2011 73 239-59
- Niemann-Pick C1-Like 1 deletion in mice prevents high-fat diet-induced fatty liver by reducing lipogenesis.
- Jia L, Ma Y, Rong S, Betters JL, Xie P, Chung S, Wang N, Tang W, Yu L J. Lipid Res. 2010 Nov 51 11 3135-44
- Dietary cholesterol reverses resistance to diet-induced weight gain in mice lacking Niemann-Pick C1-Like 1.
- Jia L, Ma Y, Liu G, Yu L J. Lipid Res. 2010 Oct 51 10 3024-33
- Niemann-Pick C1-like 1 is required for an LXR agonist to raise plasma HDL cholesterol in mice.
- Tang W, Ma Y, Jia L, Ioannou YA, Davies JP, Yu L Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2008 Mar 28 3 448-54
Honors & Awards
- Travel Award for Alcohol and Immunology Research Interest Group (AIRIG) meeting
Aurora, CO (2018)
- The Cecil H. and Ida Green Center Trainee Travel Awards
UT Southwestern (2014)
- Travel Award for Poster Presentation
Deuel Conference on Lipids (2014)
- Early Career Investigator Award of Excellence
Kern Aspen Lipid Conference (2010)
- Early Career Investigator Award for Excellence
Kern Aspen Lipid Conference (2009)
- Research Society on Alcoholism (2016)
- American Heart Association (2011)