Rita Gander, Ph.D., ABMM has worked for more than 25 years in the field of clinical microbiology. She serves as a director and clinical consultant of the clinical microbiology laboratories at St. Paul University Hospital and Parkland Health and Hospital System. Dr. Gander is a microbiology lecturer to medical students, pathology residents, clinical microbiology fellows and infectious diseases fellows.
|Undergraduate||University of Texas at Austin (1973)|
|Graduate School||University of Texas Health Science San Antonio (1985)|
- Development and/or evaluation of diagnostic methods in clinical microbiology, particularly molecular assays.
Cutaneous fusariosis developing in a post-irradiation site
Chan, J.L., W. Dai, J.W. Dharamsi, S. Soliman, C. Ricotti, R. M. Gander, P.R. Bergstresser Dermatology Online Journal 2011 17 5 5
Q fever over 75 years: What have we achieved?
Alatoom, A., J.N. Ricaldi, R. Sumpter R. Gander American Society of Clinical Pathology Check Sample 2010 MB10 7 73-86
Impact of phlebotomy-drawn blood cultures on contamination rates and health care costs in a hospital emergency department.
Gander, R.M., L. Byrd, M. DeCrescenzo, S. Hirany, M. Bowen, J. Baughman J. Clin. Microbiol. 2009 47 4 1021-1024
Fasciola hepatica infection in the United States.
Alatoom A., D. Cavuoti, P. Southern, R. Gander Lab Med 2008 39 7 425-428
Fascioliasis in pregnancy.
Alatoom A., J. Sheffield, R. Gander, P. Southern, J. Shaw, D. Cavuoti Obstetrics and Gynecology 2008 112 2 483-485
Subcutaneous phaeohyphomycosis caused by Cladophialophora bantiana
Hussey S., R. Gander, Southern P, Hoang MP Archives of Pathology & Lab Medicine 2005 129 6 794-797
Stability of Preservcyt® for Hybrid Capture® (HCII) HPV Test
Sailors, J., R. Gander, M.H. Saboorian, P. Berkley, B. Foster, R. Ashfaq Diagnostic Cytopathology 2005 32 5 260-263
Ophthalmomyiasis Externa in Dallas County: A Case Report
Siguauke, E., P.M. Southern, R.M. Gander, D. Cavuoti, W. Beebe Am. J. Trop. Med. Hygiene 2003 68 46-47
Reflex HPV DNA testing on residual liquid-based (TPPTTM) cervical samples; focus on age-stratified clinical performance
Sarode, V.R., C. Werner, R. Gander, B. Foster, A. Fulmer, M. H. Saboorian, R. Ashfaq Cancer Cytopathology 2003 99 3 149-155
Splenic abscess with Vibrio cholerae
Cavuoti, D., M. Fogli, R. Quinton, R.M. Gander, P.M. Southern Diag. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 2002 43 311-313
Molecular Testing for Infectious Disease.. In Handbook of Clinical Pathology
Rogers, B.B., R.M. Gander, R.W. McKenna and J.H. Keffer (Ed.) (2000). Chicago, Illinois, ASCP Press, American Society of Clinical Pathologists
Honors & Awards
- Dean's List at University of Texas
- Dean's List at University of Houston
- Distinguished Service Award, 2000, Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology
- S.E. Sulkin Award for Outstanding Student Paper, 1985, Texas Branch of American Society for Microbiology (Fall), San Antonio, Texas
- North Texas Society for Pathology (2005)
- Texas Society of Infectious Diseases (1994)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (1992)
- American Board of Medical Microbiology (1990)
- Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology (1989)
- Texas Society for Clinical Microbiology (1988)
- American Society for Microbiology (1981)
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (1975)