Dr. David Fixler is Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He received a Master of Science Degree in Epidemiology from the University of London in 1982. Since that time his major research has focused on the epidemiology of congenital heart disease and most recently environmental epidemiology of exposures associated with birth defects of the heart.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1964)
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatric Cardiology
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatrics
- University of California at San Francisco (1971), Cardiovascular Medicine
- Epidemiology of congenital heart disease
- Mortality resulting from congenital heart disease among children and adults in the United States, 1999 to 2006.
- Gilboa SM, Salemi JL, Nembhard WN, Fixler DE, Correa A Circulation 2010 Nov 122 22 2254-63
- Mortality in first 5 years in infants with functional single ventricle born in Texas, 1996 to 2003.
- Fixler DE, Nembhard WN, Salemi JL, Ethen MK, Canfield MA Circulation 2010 Feb 121 5 644-50
- Relation between ambient air quality and selected birth defects, seven county study, Texas, 1997-2000.
- Gilboa SM, Mendola P, Olshan AF, Langlois PH, Savitz DA, Loomis D, Herring AH, Fixler DE Am. J. Epidemiol. 2005 Aug 162 3 238-52
- Ethnicity and socioeconomic status: impact on the diagnosis of congenital heart disease.
- Fixler DE, Pastor P, Sigman E, Eifler CW J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1993 Jun 21 7 1722-6
- Validity of mass blood pressure screening in children.
- Fixler DE, Laird WP Pediatrics 1983 Oct 72 4 459-63
- Health-Related Quality of Life and Functional Status Are Associated with Cardiac Status and Clinical Outcome in Children with Cardiomyopathy.
- Sleeper LA, Towbin JA, Colan SD, Hsu D, Orav EJ, Lemler MS, Clunie S, Messere J, Fountain D, Miller TL, Wilkinson JD, Lipshultz SE J. Pediatr. 2015 Dec
- Donor-specific HLA alloantibodies: Impact on cardiac allograft vasculopathy, rejection, and survival after pediatric heart transplantation.
- Tran A, Fixler D, Huang R, Meza T, Lacelle C, Das BB J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2015 Sep
- Age at referral and mortality from critical congenital heart disease.
- Fixler DE, Xu P, Nembhard WN, Ethen MK, Canfield MA Pediatrics 2014 Jul 134 1 e98-e105
- Late Detection of Critical Congenital Heart Disease Among US Infants: Estimation of the Potential Impact of Proposed Universal Screening Using Pulse Oximetry.
- Peterson C, Ailes E, Riehle-Colarusso T, Oster ME, Olney RS, Cassell CH, Fixler DE, Carmichael SL, Shaw GM, Gilboa SM JAMA Pediatr 2014 Feb
- Prenatal Diagnosis, Birth Location, Surgical Center, and Neonatal Mortality in Infants with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.
- Morris SA, Ethen MK, Penny DJ, Canfield MA, Minard CG, Fixler DE, Nembhard WN Circulation 2013 Oct
Epidemiology of Congenital Heart Disease. In Oski's Pediatrics: Principles & Practice, 4th edition, McMillan JA, Feigin RD, DeAngelis C, Jones MD, eds.
Fixler DE (2006). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Atrioventricular septal defect. In Surgery of Congenital Heart Disease: Perspectives in Pediatric Cardiology, Moller JH, ed.
Fixler DE (1998). Wiley-Blackwell
Acyanotic Heart Disease. In Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin DL, Morriss FC, eds.
Kouatli AA, Fixler DE (1997). Churchill Livingstone
Honors & Awards
- Robert L. Moore, MD
Distinguished Service Award for Medicine, Children’s Medical Center (2000)
- The Dr. Fred Brooksaler
Pediatric Teaching Professorship (1999)
- American Heart Association Gladys Fashena Award
Outstanding contribution to Pediatric Cardiology (1991)
- Residents Teaching Awards, 1983-4, 1987-8
Awarded by Children’s Medical Center for teaching excellence (1988)
- Variety Club of Texas Humanitarian of the Year Award
Humanitarian of the Year Award (1985)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society for Transplantation
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Pediatric Research