Dr. Lopez did her residency in Pediatrics at the University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, and her fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
She has performed research in the area of type 2 diabetes and obesity in adults and pediatrics and has participated in several multicenter clinical trials with new drugs for type 2 diabetes.
She is currently the Medical Director for the GENder, Education and Care Interdisciplinary Support (GENECIS) program, which provides mental health and endocrine care for gender non-conforming children and adolescents.
- Medical School
- Universidad La Salle/Facuitad de Medicina (2000)
- University of Illinois at Chicago (2005), Pediatrics
- Massachusetts General Hospital (2008), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Gender dysphoria in children and adolescents.
- Metabolic effects of endocrine therapy in adolescents with gender dysphoria.
- Obesity in childhood.
- Type 2 diabetes in pediatrics.
- Approach to Children and Adolescents with Gender Dysphoria.
- Lopez X, Stewart S, Jacobson-Dickman E Pediatr Rev 2016 Mar 37 3 89-98
- A role of the Inflammasome in the low storage capacity of the abdominal subcutaneous adipose tissue in obese adolescents.
- Kursawe R, Dixit VD, Scherer PE, Santoro N, Narayan D, Gordillo R, Giannini C, Lopez X, Pierpont B, Nouws J, Shulman GI, Caprio S Diabetes 2015 Dec
- Association of Non-High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol with Psychosocial Dysfunction in Children and Adolescents with Obesity.
- Serrano-Gonzalez M, McConnel C, Bokhary M, Oden J, Lopez X Child Obes 2015 Sep
- Effect of pioglitazone on plasma ceramides in adults with metabolic syndrome.
- Warshauer JT, Lopez X, Gordillo R, Hicks J, Holland WL, Anuwe E, Blankfard MB, Scherer PE, Lingvay I Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 2015 May
- Liraglutide's safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics in pediatric type 2 diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
- Klein DJ, Battelino T, Chatterjee DJ, Jacobsen LV, Hale PM, Arslanian S Diabetes Technol. Ther. 2014 Oct 16 10 679-87
- Cromolyn sodium for insulin-induced lipoatrophy: old drug, new use.
- Phua EJ, Lopez X, Ramus J, Goldfine AB Diabetes Care 2013 Dec 36 12 e204-5
- Plasma ceramides are elevated in female children and adolescents with type 2 diabetes.
- Lopez X, Goldfine AB, Holland WL, Gordillo R, Scherer PE J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 2013 Apr 1-4
- An infant with hypercalcemia and rachitic changes: question.
- Siddique K, Lucke A, Lucio D, Lopez X, Seikaly M Pediatr. Nephrol. 2013 Feb 28 2 245-6, 247-9
- Insulin augmentation of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion is impaired in insulin-resistant humans.
- Halperin F, Lopez X, Manning R, Kahn CR, Kulkarni RN, Goldfine AB Diabetes 2012 Feb 61 2 301-9
- Exogenous insulin enhances glucose-stimulated insulin response in healthy humans independent of changes in free fatty acids.
- Lopez X, Cypess A, Manning R, O'Shea S, Kulkarni RN, Goldfine AB J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2011 Dec 96 12 3811-21
Hypoglycemia in Infants and Children. In Pediatric Nutrition, 7th Edition, R. Kleinman, F. Greer, eds.
McManus S, Lopez X, Levitsky L. (2013). American Academy of Pediatrics
Honors & Awards
- Graduation with honors from medical school
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Endocrinology Executive Committee Member (2016-2019)
- Pediatric Endocrine Society, Co-chair of the Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth SIG (2015)
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) (2014)
- Diabetes National Medical Advisor, Novo Nordisk, Spain (2008-2010)