Dr. Dowell completed his medical school education at the University of Chicago and received his internal medicine training at UT Southwestern. He then pursued his fellowship in Hematology and Oncology at Vanderbilt University, where he received extensive mentorship in thoracic malignancies from leaders in that field. Following fellowship, given his affinity for the clinical, research, and teaching environment at UT Southwestern, Dr. Dowell returned to join the faculty. Dr. Dowell specializes primarily in thoracic malignancies, including but not limited to non-small cell and small cell lung cancers, mesothelioma, and thymoma. He is also an active investigator in the clinical research program for these cancers at UT Southwestern. Dr. Dowell's approach is to educate the patient and his/her family about their illness so that they can make informed treatment decisions. In addition, Dr. Dowell is devoted to medical education, and his interests outside of work include travel, baseball, and family activities.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine (1993)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Internal Medicine
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (2000), Hematology & Oncology
- Asbestos Lung Cancer (Mesothelioma)
- Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Adjuvant & NeoAdjuvant Therapy for Lung Cancer
- Latest Chemotherapy Options for Lung Cancer
- Management of Side Effects of Chemotherapy
- Targeted Therapy for Lung Cancer
- Upper Extremity Venous Thrombosis in Patients With Cancer With Peripherally Inserted Central Venous Catheters: A Retrospective Analysis of Risk Factors
- Ahn DH, Illum HB, Wang DH, Sharma A, and Dowell JE JOP 2013 5
- A multicenter phase II study of cisplatin, pemetrexed, and bevacizumab in patients with advanced malignant mesothelioma.
- Dowell JE, Dunphy FR, Taub RN, Gerber DE, Ngov L, Yan J, Xie Y, Kindler HL Lung Cancer 2012 Sep 77 3 567-71
- Consent timing and experience: modifiable factors that may influence interest in clinical research.
- Gerber DE, Rasco DW, Skinner CS, Dowell JE, Yan J, Sayne JR, Xie Y J Oncol Pract 2012 Mar 8 2 91-6
- ERCC1 expression and outcomes in head and neck cancer treated with concurrent cisplatin and radiation.
- Hayes M, Lan C, Yan J, Xie Y, Gray T, Amirkhan RH, Dowell JE Anticancer Res. 2011 Dec 31 12 4135-9
- Predictors and impact of second-line chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer in the United States: real-world considerations for maintenance therapy.
- Gerber DE, Rasco DW, Le P, Yan J, Dowell JE, Xie Y J Thorac Oncol 2011 Feb 6 2 365-71
- Looking beyond surveillance, epidemiology, and end results: patterns of chemotherapy administration for advanced non-small cell lung cancer in a contemporary, diverse population.
- Rasco DW, Yan J, Xie Y, Dowell JE, Gerber DE J Thorac Oncol 2010 Oct 5 10 1529-35
- Small cell lung cancer: are we making progress?
- Dowell JE Am. J. Med. Sci. 2010 Jan 339 1 68-76
- The impact of consenter characteristics and experience on patient interest in clinical research.
- Rasco DW, Xie Y, Yan J, Sayne JR, Skinner CS, Dowell JE, Gerber DE Oncologist 2009 May 14 5 468-75
- Small-cell lung cancer: translational research enroute to therapeutic advances.
- Dowell J, Minna JD Oncology (Williston Park, N.Y.) 2008 Nov 22 13 1493, 1495
- Phase 1/2 dose escalating study of twice-monthly pemetrexed and gemcitabine in patients with advanced cancer and non-small cell lung cancer.
- Dudek AZ, Larson T, McCleod MJ, Schneider DJ, Dowell JE, Banerjee TK, Pandya KJ, Bromund JL, Chen R, Monberg MJ, Obasaju CK J Thorac Oncol 2008 Apr 3 4 394-9
Honors & Awards
- Internal Medicine, Core Clerkship Teaching Award
Teaching Award (2012)
- Eugene P. Frenkel Outstanding Teaching Award
Teaching Award (2010)
Merit Award (2000)
- Vanderbilt Hematology/Oncology
Fellow Award (1998)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology