Dr. Schmidt was born in Queens, New York. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from St. John's University (1984) and his medical degree from SUNY Brooklyn (Downstate Medical Center 1988). He completed his three year Internal Medicine Residency at UT Southwestern Medical Center (1988-1991) and GI fellowship at Baylor University Medical Center Dallas (1991-1993). From 1993 to 2010 he was in private practice in Norman, OK where he took care of numerous college athletes with gastrointestinal disorders. He came back to the Dallas area in the Fall of 2010 to accept a position at the Dallas VA Medical Center where he specializes in General GI and is the Director of the Gastroenterology/Liver Clinics. In July 2012, Dr. Schmidt was appointed the GI Fellowship Site Director for the Dallas VA Medical Center.
- Saint John's University (1984), Biology
- Medical School
- New York University (1988), Medicine
- How Nuclear Imaging Studies correlate with abnormalities of the Gastrointestinal Tract
- Significance of 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucose Uptake at the Gastroesophageal Junction: Comparison of PET to Esophagogastroduodenoscopy.
- Stagg J, Farukhi I, Lazaga F, Thompson C, Bradshaw L, Kaif M, Gould-Simon A, Schmidt R Dig. Dis. Sci. 2015 May 60 5 1335-42
- Colonoscopy Can be a Lifesaver
- Schmidt RD Norman Transcript May 2006
- Are Recertification Exams Succeeding in What They are Designed to Accomplish
- Schmidt RD Gastroenterology and Endoscopy News 2004 July
- Do Statins Increase the Risk of Esophageal Conditions? Findings from Four Propensity Score-Matched Analyses.
- Smith I, Schmidt R, Halm EA, Mansi IA Clin Drug Investig 2017 Oct
- Statins and Lower Gastrointestinal Conditions: A Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Pearlman M, Covin Y, Schmidt R, Mortensen EM, Mansi IA J Clin Pharmacol 2017 Apr
- Association of Statin Therapy and Risks of Cholelithiasis, Biliary Tract Diseases, and Gallbladder Procedures: Retrospective Cohort Analysis of a US Population.
- Martin D, Schmidt R, Mortensen EM, Mansi I Ann Pharmacother 2015 Dec
- Statin therapy and gastrointestinal hemorrhage: a retrospective cohort study with propensity score-matching.
- Badillo R, Schmidt R, Mortensen EM, Frei CR, Mansi I Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2015 Jun
- Outcome of a hepatitis C outbreak among patients in a pain management clinic.
- Fazili J, Mallonee S, Tierney WM, Bader TF, Sachdev AK, Bird PC, Schmidt RD, Mesiya SA, Lackey CL Dig. Dis. Sci. 2010 Jun 55 6 1738-43
- Effect of a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt on liver biochemical profiles.
- Crippin JS, Schmidt RD, Niblett RL, Rees CR J Vasc Interv Radiol 1995 May-Jun 6 3 461-4
- Cleveland-McClain County Medical Association (1993-2010)
- Oklahoma State Medical Association (1993-2010)
- American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) (1991)
- American Gastroenterology Association (AGA) (1991)
- American Medical Association (1988-2009)