Dr. Dickson is the Medical Director at the Children’s Medical Center Dallas’ Endocrinology Center. Recruited to UT Southwestern in 1994 from private practice, he is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and oversees the pediatric endocrinology teaching program for residents and the fourth-year medical student clerkships in pediatric endocrinology.
Dr. Dickson holds his undergraduate degree from UT Arlington and his medical degree from UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, where he also completed a residency in pediatrics and a 1-year fellowship in pediatric endocrinology. He went on to complete his fellowship in pediatric endocrinology at Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, and then moved onto private practice in Dallas from 1990 to 1994.
In 1994, Dr Dickson joined the UT Southwestern faculty on a full-time basis. Dr. Dickson is a dedicated teacher and was recognized when he received the Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award from the Children’s Medical Center Dallas Pediatric Residency Program in 2000. He has also been serving as medical director of Camp Sweeney since 2000.
Located in Gainesville, Texas, Camp Sweeney is the largest residential summer camp for children with diabetes in the country. More than 800 children attend this camp every year.
Dr. Dickson is currently expanding his role in the Division by becoming a principal investigator for clinical trials. He is presently implementing a pharmaceutical study that will aid children with obesity as a result of hypothalamic disorders. He is active in the pediatric endocrinology community. He is currently a member of the Executive Board and Vice Chairman of the medical board of the Southwestern Diabetic Foundation.
- Medical School
- UT Hlth Sci Cntr San Antonio (1984)
- University of Texas San Antonio Health Science Center (1987), Pediatrics
- University of Texas San Antonio Health Science Center (1988), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (1990), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Endocrine Disorders in Neurooncolgy patients
- Hypothalamic Obesity
- Iatrogenic Adrenal Insufficiency
- Epidermal growth factor stimulates insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-1 expression in the neonatal rat
- Murray MA. Dickson BA. Smith EP. Hoath SB. Chernausek SD. Endocrinology July 1993 133(1) 159-65
- Suppression of insulin-like growth factor I during epidermal growth factor-induced growth retardation
- Chernausek SD. Dickson BA. Smith EP. Hoath SB. American Journal of Physiology March 1991 260(3 Pt 1) E416-21
- Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 secretion from cultured rat sertoli cells: dual regulation by follicle stimulating hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I
- Smith EP. Dickson BA. Chernausek SD Endocrinology December 1990 127(6) 2744-51
- Aldosterone-producing adenoma presenting with hypokalemic myopathy
- Dickson BA. Franks RC. Clinical Pediatrics July 1988 27(7) 344-7
- Time course of recovery of adrenal function in children treated for leukemia
- Felner EI. Thompson MT. Ratliff AF. White PC. Dickson BA. Journal of Pediatrics July 2000 137(1) 21-4
- Parathyroid carcinoma in a child
- Meier DE. Snyder WH 3rd. Dickson BA. Margraf LR. Guzzetta PC Jr. Journal of Pediatric Surgery April 1999 34(4) 606-8
- Thyrotoxic Crisis and Euthroid Sick Syndrome
- Dickson BA. Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care Pediatrics 1997 2nd Edition 577
- Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone Secretion
- Dickson BA. Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care Pediatrics 1997 2nd Edition 581
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award
Children’s Medical Center of Dallas Pediatric Residency Program (2000)
- Executive Board member, Southwestern Diabetic Foundation
- Medical Director, Southwestern Diabetic Foundation
- Pediatric Endocrine Society of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas