- University of Kansas Main Camp (1995), Arts
- Graduate School
- University of Kansas Medical C (2006), Physiology
- B cell contribution to stroke injury and repair
- chemokine expression
- neuronal plasticity during recovery from stroke
- neuronal-targeted autoreactivity after CNS injury
- vascular inflammation
- Peripheral VH4+ plasmablasts demonstrate autoreactive B cell expansion toward brain antigens in early multiple sclerosis patients.
- Rivas JR, Ireland SJ, Chkheidze R, Rounds WH, Lim J, Johnson J, Ramirez DM, Ligocki AJ, Chen D, Guzman AA, Woodhall M, Wilson PC, Meffre E, White C, Greenberg BM, Waters P, Cowell LG, Stowe AM, Monson NL Acta Neuropathol. 2016 Oct
- Heterogeneity of B Cell Functions in Stroke-Related Risk, Prevention, Injury, and Repair.
- Selvaraj UM, Poinsatte K, Torres V, Ortega SB, Stowe AM Neurotherapeutics 2016 Aug
- Preconditioning-induced CXCL12 upregulation minimizes leukocyte infiltration after stroke in ischemia-tolerant mice.
- Selvaraj UM, Ortega SB, Hu R, Gilchrist R, Kong X, Partin A, Plautz EJ, Klein RS, Gidday JM, Stowe AM J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 2016 Mar
- Stroke induces a rapid adaptive autoimmune response to novel neuronal antigens.
- Ortega SB, Noorbhai I, Poinsatte K, Kong X, Anderson A, Monson NL, Stowe AM Discov Med 2015 May 19 106 381-92
- Repetitive hypoxic preconditioning induces an immunosuppressed B cell phenotype during endogenous protection from stroke.
- Monson NL, Ortega SB, Ireland SJ, Meeuwissen AJ, Chen D, Plautz EJ, Shubel E, Kong X, Li MK, Freriks LH, Stowe AM J Neuroinflammation 2014 Jan 11 1 22
- Elevated CNS inflammation in patients with preclinical Alzheimer's disease.
- Monson NL, Ireland SJ, Ligocki AJ, Chen D, Rounds WH, Li M, Huebinger RM, Munro Cullum C, Greenberg BM, Stowe AM, Zhang R J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 2013 Oct
- Physiologic Reelin does not play a strong role in protection against acute stroke.
- Lane-Donovan C, Desai C, Pohlkamp T, Plautz EJ, Herz J, Stowe AM J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 2016 May
- Amyloid burden and sleep blood pressure in amnestic mild cognitive impairment.
- Tarumi T, Harris TS, Hill C, German Z, Riley J, Turner M, Womack KB, Kerwin DR, Monson NL, Stowe AM, Mathews D, Cullum CM, Zhang R Neurology 2015 Nov
- Spreading depolarizations increase delayed brain injury in a rat model of subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Hamming AM, Wermer MJ, Umesh Rudrapatna S, Lanier C, van Os HJ, van den Bergh WM, Ferrari MD, van der Toorn A, van den Maagdenberg AM, Stowe AM, Dijkhuizen RM J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 2015 Nov
- Functional near-infrared spectroscopy maps cortical plasticity underlying altered motor performance induced by transcranial direct current stimulation.
- Khan B, Hodics T, Hervey N, Kondraske G, Stowe AM, Alexandrakis G J Biomed Opt 2013 Nov 18 11 116003
Honors & Awards
- Dana Foundation, The David Mahoney Neuroimaging Program (co-PI)
Protective mechanisms of B cell autoreactive for the NMDA receptor: saving synapses following stroke (2016-2019)
- R01 NIH/NIA R01AG049749 (co-I)
Exercise and Intensive Vascular Risk Reduction in Preventing Dementia multi-site clinical trial (2015-2021)
- R01 NIH/NINDS 5R01NS088555 (PI)
This proposed research will be the first to determine how the transfer of B cells as a post-stroke neurotherapeutic directly interacts with neurons to reduce injury and improve recovery, and how this therapy alters a previously unstudied post-stroke autoimmune response that contributes to neuronal protection. (2015-2020)
- American Heart Association National Scientist Development grant (PI)
The long-range objective of this grant is to elucidate B cell-mediated adaptive immune mechanisms during neurovascular protection following repetitive hypoxic preconditioning, and whether this protection is transferable with a B cell therapy in mice. (2014-2017)
- UTSW SACNAS faculty mentor (2014)
- Member, American Heart Association (2010)
- Member, International Society for Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism (2007)
- Member, Society for Neuroscience (2001)
- Member, American Physiological Society (2000)