Dr. Turer received her medical degree from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and completed combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency training, a Fellowship in Health Services Research in Primary Care, and a Masters in Clinical Research at Duke University Medical Center. She joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2010.
Her research focuses on primary-care weight management in children and adults. Her goal is to identify specific ways that primary-care providers can improve the weight status and health of patients with overweight and obesity. She currently is supported by a five-year (2014-18) career-development award through the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to examine pediatrician clinical practices and communication strategies associated with weight-status improvement among overweight children. Her publications address complications of and treatments for pediatric and adult overweight and obesity.
Dr. Turer serves as a past Chair (2013-14) of the Obesity Society’s Clinical Management of Obesity Section and is a standing member (2014-18) of the Food and Drug Administration’s Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee. She is a Diplomate of the American Board of Obesity Medicine.
- Medical School
- Johns Hopkins University (2004)
- Duke University Medical Center (2008), Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
- Duke/Durham VA Medical Center (2010), Research
- Graduate School
- Duke/NIH Clinical Research Training Program (2010)
- Effective primary-care weight-management interventions
- Immediate and long-term health risks due to pediatric obesity
- Pediatric clinical practices and communication strategies that improve the health and weight-status of children with overweight and obesity
- Strategies to improve pediatrician recognition and management of weight-related comorbidities
- Primary-Care Weight-Management Strategies: Parental Priorities and Preferences.
- Turer CB, Upperman C, Merchant Z, Montaño S, Flores G Acad Pediatr 2015 Sep
- Tools for Successful Weight Management in Primary Care.
- Turer CB Am. J. Med. Sci. 2015 Jul
- Pediatricians' Communication About Weight With Overweight Latino Children and Their Parents.
- Turer CB, Montaño S, Lin H, Hoang K, Flores G Pediatrics 2014 Oct
- Parental perspectives regarding primary-care weight-management strategies for school-age children.
- Turer CB, Mehta M, Durante R, Wazni F, Flores G Matern Child Nutr 2014 Apr
- Race and Sex Differences in Small-Molecule Metabolites and Metabolic Hormones in Overweight and Obese Adults.
- Patel MJ, Batch BC, Svetkey LP, Bain JR, Turer CB, Haynes C, Muehlbauer MJ, Stevens RD, Newgard CB, Shah SH OMICS 2013 Oct
- Health Status, Emotional/Behavioral Problems, Health Care Use, and Expenditures in Overweight/Obese US Children/Adolescents.
- Turer CB, Lin H, Flores G Acad Pediatr 2013 May-Jun 13 3 251-8
- Do High-Risk Preschoolers or Overweight Mothers Meet AAP-Recommended Behavioral Goals for Reducing Obesity?
- Turer CB, Stroo M, Brouwer RJ, Krause KM, Lovelady CA, Bastian LA, Peterson B, Ostbye T Acad Pediatr 2013 Jan
- Branched chain amino acids are novel biomarkers for discrimination of metabolic wellness.
- Batch BC, Shah SH, Newgard CB, Turer CB, Haynes C, Bain JR, Muehlbauer M, Patel MJ, Stevens RD, Appel LJ, Newby LK, Svetkey LP Metab. Clin. Exp. 2013 Jan
- Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among overweight and obese US children.
- Turer CB, Lin H, Flores G Pediatrics 2013 Jan 131 1 e152-61
- Low HDL predicts differential blood pressure effects from two weight-loss approaches: a secondary analysis of blood pressure from a randomized, clinical weight-loss trial.
- Turer CB, Bernstein IH, Edelman DE, Yancy WS Diabetes Obes Metab 2012 Apr 14 4 375-8
Obesity and Inflammation. In Keller K, ed. Encyclopedia of Obesity.
Boling CL. (2008). Sage Publications.
Honors & Awards
- Society of Pediatric Research
- Special Government Employee
Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee (2014-2018)
- Dannon Nutrition Leadership Institute
- American Society for Nutrition
- Pediatric Advisory Committee (2016-2020)
- American Board of Obesity Medicine (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (2010)
- American Board of Pediatrics (2008)
- Academic Pediatric Association (APA)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Nutrition
- Society of Pediatric Research
- Texas Pediatric Society
- The Obesity Society