Dr. Turer received her medical degree from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and completed combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency training, a Fellowship in Health Services Research in Primary Care, and a Masters in Clinical Research at Duke University Medical Center. She joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2010.
Her research focuses on primary-care weight management in children and adults. Her goal is to identify specific ways that primary-care providers can improve the weight status and health of patients with overweight and obesity. She currently is supported by a five-year (2014-18) career-development award through the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to examine pediatrician clinical practices and communication strategies associated with weight-status improvement among overweight children. Her publications address complications of and treatments for pediatric and adult overweight and obesity.
Dr. Turer serves as a past Chair (2013-14) of the Obesity Society’s Clinical Management of Obesity Section and is a standing member (2016-19) of the Food and Drug Administration’s Pediatric Advisory Committee, and a consultant (2014-17) to the Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee. She is a Diplomate of the American Board of Obesity Medicine.
- Medical School
- Johns Hopkins University (2004)
- Duke University Medical Center (2008), Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
- Duke/Durham VA Medical Center (2010), Research
- Graduate School
- Duke/NIH Clinical Research Training Program (2010)
- Effective primary-care weight-management interventions
- Immediate and long-term health risks due to pediatric obesity
- Pediatric clinical practices and communication strategies that improve the health and weight-status of children with overweight and obesity
- Strategies to improve pediatrician recognition and management of weight-related comorbidities
- Lipid Screening and Treatment Practices Conflict With Conflicting Recommendations: Where Do We Go From Here?
- Barlow SE, Turer CB J. Pediatr. 2017 Mar
- Discrepancies in Communication Versus Documentation of Weight-Management Benchmarks: Analysis of Recorded Visits With Latino Children and Associated Health-Record Documentation.
- Turer CB, Barlow SE, Montaño S, Flores G Glob Pediatr Health 2017 4 2333794X16685190
- Primary-Care Weight-Management Strategies: Parental Priorities and Preferences.
- Turer CB, Upperman C, Merchant Z, Montaño S, Flores G Acad Pediatr 2015 Sep
- Tools for Successful Weight Management in Primary Care.
- Turer CB Am. J. Med. Sci. 2015 Jul
- Pediatricians' Communication About Weight With Overweight Latino Children and Their Parents.
- Turer CB, Montaño S, Lin H, Hoang K, Flores G Pediatrics 2014 Oct
- Parental perspectives regarding primary-care weight-management strategies for school-age children.
- Turer CB, Mehta M, Durante R, Wazni F, Flores G Matern Child Nutr 2014 Apr
- Race and Sex Differences in Small-Molecule Metabolites and Metabolic Hormones in Overweight and Obese Adults.
- Patel MJ, Batch BC, Svetkey LP, Bain JR, Turer CB, Haynes C, Muehlbauer MJ, Stevens RD, Newgard CB, Shah SH OMICS 2013 Oct
- Health Status, Emotional/Behavioral Problems, Health Care Use, and Expenditures in Overweight/Obese US Children/Adolescents.
- Turer CB, Lin H, Flores G Acad Pediatr 2013 May-Jun 13 3 251-8
- Do High-Risk Preschoolers or Overweight Mothers Meet AAP-Recommended Behavioral Goals for Reducing Obesity?
- Turer CB, Stroo M, Brouwer RJ, Krause KM, Lovelady CA, Bastian LA, Peterson B, Ostbye T Acad Pediatr 2013 Jan
- Branched chain amino acids are novel biomarkers for discrimination of metabolic wellness.
- Batch BC, Shah SH, Newgard CB, Turer CB, Haynes C, Bain JR, Muehlbauer M, Patel MJ, Stevens RD, Appel LJ, Newby LK, Svetkey LP Metab. Clin. Exp. 2013 Jan
Obesity and Inflammation. In Keller K, ed. Encyclopedia of Obesity.
Boling CL. (2008). Sage Publications.
Honors & Awards
- Society of Pediatric Research
- Special Government Employee
Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee (2014-2018)
- Dannon Nutrition Leadership Institute
- American Society for Nutrition
- Pediatric Advisory Committee (2016-2020)
- American Board of Obesity Medicine (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (2010)
- American Board of Pediatrics (2008)
- Academic Pediatric Association (APA)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Nutrition
- Society of Pediatric Research
- Texas Pediatric Society
- The Obesity Society