Dr. Kim graduated from Korea University in South Korea with a bachelor degree in biology. During graduate study at Rutgers University (Robert Wood Johnson Medical School), he studied the molecular mechanisms and regulation of eukaryotic gene expression under the supervision of Dr. Danny Reinberg (HHMI, currently at NYU).
After obtaining a PhD degree in Biochemistry, he continued his research career in the laboratory of Dr. Michael Greenberg (Harvard Medical School) as a postdoctoral fellow, studying how neuronal activity controls gene expression in neurons to mediate synapse remodeling and plasticity.
Dr. Kim joined the faculty in the Department of Neuroscience at UT Southwestern in 2010.
- Korea University (1993), Biology
- Graduate School
- Rutgers University (2000), Biomedical Studies
- Activity-regulated gene expression and epigenetic program in brain
- The function of long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs) in brain
- Stimulus-specific combinatorial functionality of neuronal c-fos enhancers
- Jae-Yeol Joo, Katie Schaukowitch, Lukas Farbiak, Gokhul Kilaru, and Tae-Kyung Kim Nature Neurosci. 2015 In Press
- Enhancer RNA Facilitates NELF Release from Immediate Early Genes.
- Schaukowitch K, Joo JY, Liu X, Watts JK, Martinez C, Kim TK Mol. Cell 2014 Sep
- Transcriptional Architecture and Chromatin Landscape of the Core Circadian Clock in Mammals.
- Koike N, Yoo SH, Huang HC, Kumar V, Lee C, Kim TK, Takahashi JS Science 2012 Aug
- Widespread transcription at neuronal activity-regulated enhancers
- Tae-Kyung Kim, Hemberg M, Gray JM, Costa AM, Bear DM, Wu J, Harmin DA, Laptewicz M, Barbara-Haley K, Kuersten S, Markenscoff-Papadimitriou E, Kuhl D, Bito H, Worley PF, Kreiman G, Greenberg ME Nature (Article); **News and Views in Nature. 2010 May 13;465(7295):173-4. May 2010 465 182-7
- Genome-wide analysis of the target genes of MEF2, a transcription factor that coordinates synapse development
- Flavell SW*, Tae-Kyung Kim*, Gray JD, Harmin D, Bear D, Markenscoff-Papadimitriou E, Hu LS, Greenberg ME (*equal contribution) Neuron 2008 60(6) 1022-1038
- Mechanism of ATP-Dependent Promoter Melting by Transcription Factor IIH
- Tae-Kyung Kim, Richard H. Ebright, and Danny Reinberg Science 2000 288 1418-1421
- Trajectory of DNA in the RNA Polymerase II Transcription Preinitiation Complex
- Tae-Kyung Kim, Thierry Lagrange, Yuh-Hwa Wang, Jack D. Griffith, Danny Reinberg, and Richard Ebright Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 1997 94 12268-12273
- Emerging epigenetic mechanisms of long non-coding RNAs.
- Schaukowitch K, Kim TK Neuroscience 2013 Dec
- Systematic evaluation of factors influencing ChIP-seq fidelity.
- Chen Y, Negre N, Li Q, Mieczkowska JO, Slattery M, Liu T, Zhang Y, Kim TK, He HH, Zieba J, Ruan Y, Bickel PJ, Myers RM, Wold BJ, White KP, Lieb JD, Liu XS Nat. Methods 2012 Jun 9 6 609-14
- Bhlhb5 and Prdm8 form a repressor complex involved in neuronal circuit assembly.
- Ross SE, McCord AE, Jung C, Atan D, Mok SI, Hemberg M, Kim TK, Salogiannis J, Hu L, Cohen S, Lin Y, Harrar D, McInnes RR, Greenberg ME Neuron 2012 Jan 73 2 292-303
Honors & Awards
- The Klingenstein Fellowship Award
- The Welch Foundation
- Whitehall foundation
- Regent’s Research Scholar Award, UT Southwestern
- Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research
- Lefler Fellowship, Harvard Medical School
- Deans Award for Excellence in Studies, Korea University