W. Lee Kraus, PhD, is the Director of the Cecil H. and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences. He is also Professor and Vice Chair for Basic Sciences in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and a Professor in the Department of Pharmacology. Dr. Kraus also holds the Cecil H. and Ida Green Distinguished Chair in Reproductive Biology Sciences.
Dr. Kraus did his graduate research on the regulation of steroid hormone receptor activity in the laboratory of Dr. Benita S. Katzenellenbogen at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and received his PhD in 1994.
He did his postdoctoral research on the mechanisms of transcriptional regulation with chromatin in the laboratory of Dr. Jim Kadonaga at the University of California, San Diego. During his postdoctoral work, Dr. Kraus was supported by fellowships from the National Institutes of Health and the American Cancer Society, California Division.
Prior to joining the faculty at UT Southwestern, Dr. Kraus was a professor in the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics at Cornell University in Ithaca. He also held a joint appointment in the Department of Pharmacology at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York City.
Dr. Kraus has been supported by a Career Award in the Biomedical Sciences/Reproductive Biology from the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, as well as grants from the National Institutes of Health, the American Cancer Society, the Endocrine Society, and the National Science Foundation.
|Undergraduate||Cornell University (1989)|
|Graduate School||University of Illinois Urbana Campus (1991), Physiology|
|Graduate School||University of Illinois Urbana Campus (1994), Physiology|
- Cancer biology (esp. breast cancer)
- Chromatin structure and gene regulation
- Computational genomics
- Hormonal signaling
- Molecular physiology of reproduction, inflammation, and adipogenesis
Hah N, Murakami S, Nagari A, Danko C, Kraus WL Genome Res. 2013 May
Danko CG, Hah N, Luo X, Martins AL, Core L, Lis JT, Siepel A, Kraus WL Mol. Cell 2013 Mar
Hah N, Danko CG, Core L, Waterfall JJ, Siepel A, Lis JT, Kraus WL Cell 2011 May 145 4 622-34
Krishnakumar R, Kraus WL Mol. Cell 2010 Sep 39 5 736-49
Krishnakumar R, Kraus WL Mol. Cell 2010 Jul 39 1 8-24
Gamble MJ, Frizzell KM, Yang C, Krishnakumar R, Kraus WL Genes Dev. 2010 Jan 24 1 21-32
Reciprocal binding of PARP-1 and histone H1 at promoters specifies transcriptional outcomes
Krishnakumar R., Gamble M. J., Frizzell K. M., Berrocal J. G., Kininis M., and Kraus W. L. Science 2008 319 819-821
Selective recognition of distinct classes of coactivators by a ligand-inducible activation domain
Acevedo M. L., Lee K. C., Stender J. D., Katzenellenbogen B. S., Kraus W. L. Molecular Cell 2004 13 725-738
Modulation of chromatin structure and transcription by nucleosome-binding properties of PARP-1
Kim M. Y., Mauro S. A., Gevry N., Lis J. T., Kraus W. L. Cell 2004 119 803-814
Gibson BA, Kraus WL Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2012 Jul 13 7 411-24
Honors & Awards
- Cecil H. and Ida Green Distinguished Chair in Reproductive Biology Sciences
- Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Students in Independent Research Award
- Richard E. Weitzman Memorial Award from the Endocrine Society
- Distinguished Alumni Award from the Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Young Faculty Teaching Excellence Award
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award in the Biomedical Sciences, Reproductive Biology