|Undergraduate||Tsinghua University - China (1995)|
|Graduate School||University of Texas at Dallas (2000), Computer Sciences|
|Graduate School||University of Texas Southwestern Med Ctr Dallas (2002)|
- Our research focuses on structural and functional characterization of proteins in signal transduction. Experimental approaches include x-ray crystallography, small angle X-ray scattering, enzymology and spectroscopy.
- The G12 class heterotrimeric G proteins and the Rho-family monomeric GTPases. We are trying to understand how these G-proteins are regulated by various protein factors, and how they interact with downstream effectors to mediate a large variety of cellular functions.
- The pleckstrin-homology (PH) domains, with the emphasis on how these modular domains interact with proteins and lipids on membranes.
- Activation of p115-RhoGEF requires direct association of Ga13 and the Dbl homology domain.
- Chen Z, Guo L, Hadas J, Gutowski S, Sprang SR, Sternweis PC J. Biol. Chem. 2012 Jul 287 30 25490-500
- Activated RhoA binds to the pleckstrin homology (PH) domain of PDZ-RhoGEF, a potential site for autoregulation.
- Chen Z, Medina F, Liu MY, Thomas C, Sprang SR, Sternweis PC J. Biol. Chem. 2010 Jul 285 27 21070-81
- Structure of the p115RhoGEF rgRGS domain-Galpha13/i1 chimera complex suggests convergent evolution of a GTPase activator.
- Chen Z, Singer WD, Sternweis PC, Sprang SR Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2005 Feb 12 2 191-7
- Structure of the rgRGS domain of p115RhoGEF.
- Chen Z, Wells CD, Sternweis PC, Sprang SR Nat. Struct. Biol. 2001 Sep 8 9 805-9
- Modulation of a GEF switch: autoinhibition of the intrinsic guanine nucleotide exchange activity of p115-RhoGEF.
- Chen Z, Guo L, Sprang SR, Sternweis PC Protein Sci. 2011 Jan 20 1 107-17
- Recognition of the activated states of Galpha13 by the rgRGS domain of PDZRhoGEF.
- Chen Z, Singer WD, Danesh SM, Sternweis PC, Sprang SR Structure 2008 Oct 16 10 1532-43
- Regulation of Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factors by G proteins.
- Sternweis PC, Carter AM, Chen Z, Danesh SM, Hsiung YF, Singer WD Adv. Protein Chem. 2007 74 189-228
- Structural basis of effector regulation and signal termination in heterotrimeric Galpha proteins.
- Sprang SR, Chen Z, Du X Adv. Protein Chem. 2007 74 1-65
- Mapping the Galpha13 binding interface of the rgRGS domain of p115RhoGEF.
- Chen Z, Singer WD, Wells CD, Sprang SR, Sternweis PC J. Biol. Chem. 2003 Mar 278 11 9912-9
- C2 domains from different Ca2+ signaling pathways display functional and mechanistic diversity
- Nalefski EA, Wisner MA, Chen JZ, Sprang SR, Fukuda M, Mikoshiba K, Falke JJ Biochemistry 2001 10 40 3089-100