A passionate nutrition educator, Dr. Carson devotes much of her time to teaching. She teaches both dietetic students in the School of Health Professions and medical students in Southwestern Medical School. Her deepest interest in nutrition lies in how to help others gain knowledge and skills to improve their own nutritional habits and those of their patients. Her "laboratory" includes the supermarket where she has guided lay persons and professionals on EatRight Supermarket Tours and the computer lab where she has developed computer-based cases for teaching nutrition concepts to medical and health profession students. She enjoys translating the science of nutrition into practical advice in the community as an American Heart Association volunteer. From 2016 to 2018 she is serving as chair of the Nutrition Committee of the American Heart Association.
- Southwest Texas State Universi (1972), Education
- Graduate School
- University of Wisconsin - Madi (1974), Nutrition
- Graduate School
- University of Texas-Austin (2000), Philosophy
- Evaluation of nutrition education
- Nutition interventions to reduce cardiovascular disease risk
- Nutrition in medical education
- Nutrition in prevention and treatment of chronic disease
- The cardiovascular health of urban African Americans: diet-related results from the Genes, Nutrition, Exercise, Wellness, and Spiritual Growth (GoodNEWS) trial.
- Carson JA, Michalsky L, Latson B, Banks K, Tong L, Gimpel N, Lee JJ, Dehaven MJ J Acad Nutr Diet 2012 Nov 112 11 1852-8
- Weight control advice for breast cancer patients
- Carson JAS Topics in Clinical Nutrition 1989 4 20-26
- Click LAB WEBSITE link above
- For a complete listing of publications for Dr. Carson
- Enhanced and Updated American Heart Association Heart-Check Front-of-Package Symbol: Efforts to Help Consumers Identify Healthier Food Choices.
- Johnson RK, Lichtenstein AH, Kris-Etherton PM, Carson JA, Pappas A, Rupp L, Vafiadis DK J Acad Nutr Diet 2015 Jun 115 6 876-84
- JCL roundtable: fast food and the American diet.
- Brown WV, Carson JA, Johnson RK, Kris-Etherton P J Clin Lipidol 2015 Jan-Feb 9 1 3-10
- Evaluating parents and adult caregivers as "agents of change" for treating obese children: evidence for parent behavior change strategies and research gaps: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.
- Faith MS, Van Horn L, Appel LJ, Burke LE, Carson JA, Franch HA, Jakicic JM, Kral TV, Odoms-Young A, Wansink B, Wylie-Rosett J Circulation 2012 Mar 125 9 1186-207
- Nutrition in a team approach to rehabilitation of the patient with cancer
- Carson JAS Journal of the American Dietetic Association 1978 72 407-409
- Taste acuity and food attitudes of selected cancer patients.
- Carson JAS, Gormican AT Journal of the American Dietetic Association 1977 70 361-365
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Dietitian of the Year, Texas
- Ruby Award for Public Education, Texas Division of the American Cancer Society
- Outstanding Young Women in America
- Recognized Young Dietitian from Texas
- American Heart Association (2006)
- American Society for Nutrition (1998)
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (1973)