Dr. Jen Liou received her PhD in Microbiology and Immunology from University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), under the mentorship of Dr. Arthur Weiss, for her work on dissecting signaling transduction events in lymphocyte activation using biochemical and genetic approaches. During her postdoctoral training under Dr. Tobias Meyer at Stanford University, Dr. Liou studied cellular signaling using systems biology and quantitative live-cell imaging approaches.
She collaborated with four colleagues and generated an siRNA library targeting 2,304 human signaling proteins. She used this library to address a long-standing question in lymphocyte activation and calcium signaling: the molecular mechanism underlying store-operated calcium (SOC) signaling.
Dr. Liou identified STIM1/2 as the calcium sensors in the endoplasmic reticulum for SOC signaling and characterized the activation mechanisms of STIM1/2. Her work represented a major breakthrough that set the direction of many laboratories in the field.
An article in the Summer 2009 edition of Stanford Medicine, "Anatomy of an Experiment: Chasing Down the Cell’s Gatekeepers" describes Dr. Liou’s research.
- National Taiwan University (1992), Zoology
- Graduate School
- National Taiwan University (1994), Zoology
- Graduate School
- University of California-San F (2001), Biology
- Calcium Signaling
- Inter-organelle communication
- Live-Cell Imaging and High-Resolution Microscopy
- Membrane Contact Sites and Junctions
- Non-vesicular Lipid Transport
- Phosphoinositide Metabolism
- RASSF4 controls SOCE and ER-PM junctions through regulation of PI(4,5)P2.
- Chen YJ, Chang CL, Lee WR, Liou J J. Cell Biol. 2017 Jun
- Phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate Homeostasis Regulated by Nir2 and Nir3 at Endoplasmic Reticulum-Plasma Membrane Junctions.
- Chang CL, Liou J J. Biol. Chem. 2015 Apr
- Feedback regulation of receptor-induced Ca2+ signaling mediated by E-Syt1 and Nir2 at endoplasmic reticulum-plasma membrane junctions.
- Chang CL, Hsieh TS, Yang TT, Rothberg KG, Azizoglu DB, Volk E, Liao JC, Liou J Cell Rep 2013 Nov 5 3 813-25
- Live-cell imaging reveals sequential oligomerization and local plasma membrane targeting of STIM1 following Ca2+ store depletion
- Liou J*, Fivaz M, Inoue T, Meyer T* [*: Co-corresponding authors] Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA May 2007 104 9301-06
- STIM Is a Ca2+ Sensor Essential for Ca2+-Store-Depletion-Triggered Ca2+ Influx
- Liou J, Kim ML, Heo WD, Jones JT, Myers JW, Ferrell JE Jr, Meyer T Current Biology July 2005 15 1235-41
- ER-Plasma Membrane Junctions: Why and How Do We Study Them?
- Chang CL, Chen YJ, Liou J Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2017 May
- Homeostatic Regulation of the PI(4,5)P2-Ca(2+) Signaling System at ER-PM Junctions.
- Chang CL, Liou J Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2016 Feb
- Molecular mechanisms of inter-organelle ER-PM contact sites.
- Henne WM, Liou J, Emr SD Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 2015 May 35 123-130
- Unveiling physiological functions of extended synaptotagmins.
- Liou J, Chang CL Cell Cycle 2015 Mar 14 6 799-800
- A micropeptide encoded by a putative long noncoding RNA regulates muscle performance.
- Anderson DM, Anderson KM, Chang CL, Makarewich CA, Nelson BR, McAnally JR, Kasaragod P, Shelton JM, Liou J, Bassel-Duby R, Olson EN Cell 2015 Feb 160 4 595-606
Honors & Awards
- Endowed Scholar in Biomedical Research
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2009)
- American Society for Cell Biology