Dr. Ali is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He graduated with a BA in Neurobiology and Behavior from Cornell University and an MD from the Medical College of Ohio. He trained in Psychiatry at Cornell's Payne Whitney Clinic in Manhattan and completed the Public Psychiatry Fellowship at Columbia. He served as a Medical Director at NYU/Bellevue Hospital for five years and maintained a private practice in New York City. He came to Dallas to establish the Public and Community Psychiatry Fellowship at UTSW as the Training Director, and helped establish the Center for Education and Research at Metrocare as the Academic Medical Director. He is currently at the Dallas VA, serving veterans and teaching UTSW medical students.
|Undergraduate||Cornell University (1994)|
|Medical School||University of Toledo (1999), Medicine|
- Expression of Ethnic Prejudice in Focus Groups from Agencies Affected by the 9/11 Attacks on the World Trade Center
- North, Carol S., Gordon Mollie, Kim, You-Seung, Wallace, Nancy E., Smith Rebecca P., Pfefferbaum, Betty, Hong, Barry A., Ali, Osman, Wang, Chong, Pollio, David E. Journal of Ethnic And Cultural Diversity in Social Work 2014 23 2
- Public-academic partnerships: public psychiatry fellowships: a developing network of public-academic collaborations.
- Le Melle S, Mangurian C, Ali OM, Giggie MA, Hadley T, Lewis ME, Runnels P, Sowers W, Steiner JL, Trujillo M, Ranz JM Psychiatr Serv 2012 Sep 63 9 851-4
- The Imam's role in meeting the counseling needs of Muslim communities in the United States.
- Ali OM, Milstein G, Marzuk PM Psychiatr Serv 2005 Feb 56 2 202-5
- Mental Illness Recognition and Referral Practices Among Imams in the United States
- Osman M. Ali, M.D., Glen Milstein, Ph.D. Journal of Muslim Mental Health 2012 6 2 http://hdl.handle.net/2027/spo.10381607.0006.202
- Addressing Mental Health Issues Among American Muslims in the Military
- Ali O, Abu-ras W, Ansari B, Hamid H, Haque S, Mahmood O, Muhammad A, Naeem H, Nadir, A. 2010 Institute for Social Policy and Understanding
The Mental Health Response for Survivors of Mass Shooting Incidents. In Encyclopedia of Mental Health
Ali, Osman M., North, Carol S (2015). Philadelphia, Elsevier
Traditional Mental Health Coping and Help-Seeking. In Counseling Muslims: Handbook of Mental Health Issues and Interventions
Ali, Osman M, Aboul-Fotouh, Frieda (2012). New York, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group
Honors & Awards
American Psychiatric Association (2012)
- Secretary (2013-2015)
- President (2007-2008)
- Co-founder (2004)
- Member (2004)
- Member (1995)