Dr. Shetgiri is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of General Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and Children’s Medical Center, Dallas. She received her undergraduate degree in biology from Drew University in Madison, New Jersey and her medical degree from UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School in Newark, through a combined seven-year medical program. She completed her pediatrics residency in the Community Health and Advocacy Training program in Pediatrics at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and her fellowship in the Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program at UCLA.
She is Co-Chair of the Academic Pediatric Association (APA) Culture, Ethnicity, and Healthcare Special Interest Group, and on the Executive Committees of the APA Research Committee and Research Scholars Program. She has been awarded grant funding by NICHD for her research on Latino youth violence prevention and by the APA for her research on primary-care-based bullying prevention. She has presented about bullying prevention at national meetings, to local schools and community organizations, and has been interviewed by national and international media outlets for her research on bullying.
|Undergraduate||Drew University (2000), Medicine|
|Medical School||University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (2003), Medicine|
|Graduate School||University of California-Los Angeles (2008), Health Care Administration|
- General Pediatric Consultation
- Bullying prevention
- Health services research
- Language, culture, and child health
- Latino child health
- Racial/ethnic disparities in child health
- Violence prevention in children and adolescents
- Parental Characteristics Associated With Bullying Perpetration in US Children Aged 10 to 17 Years.
- Shetgiri R, Lin H, Avila RM, Flores G Am J Public Health 2012 Oct
- Identifying Children at Risk for Being Bullies in the United States.
- Shetgiri R, Lin H, Flores G Acad Pediatr 2012 Sep
- Trends in Risk and Protective Factors for Child Bullying Perpetration in the United States.
- Shetgiri R, Lin H, Flores G Child psychiatry and human development 2012 Jun
- Factors associated with nonurgent use of pediatric emergency care among Latino families.
- Grigg A, Shetgiri R, Michel E, Rafton S, Ebel BE J Natl Med Assoc 2013 105 1 77-84
- Bullying and victimization among children.
- Shetgiri R Adv Pediatr 2013 60 1 33-51
- A randomized, controlled trial of a school-based intervention to reduce violence and substance use in predominantly Latino high school students.
- Shetgiri R, Kataoka S, Lin H, Flores G J Natl Med Assoc 2011 Sep-Oct 103 9-10 932-40
- A public health approach to pediatric residency education: responding to social determinants of health.
- Kuo AA, Shetgiri R, Guerrero AD, Barreto PM, Perez VH, Fond K, Slusser W J Grad Med Educ 2011 Jun 3 2 217-23
- Adolescent fighting: racial/ethnic disparities and the importance of families and schools.
- Shetgiri R, Kataoka S, Ponce N, Flores G, Chung PJ Acad Pediatr 2010 Sep-Oct 10 5 323-9
- The language and culture of delay.
- Sakai C, Shetgiri R, Flores G, Caronna E, Khandekar A, Augustyn M J Dev Behav Pediatr 2010 Apr 31 3 255-7
- Risk and resilience in Latinos: a community-based participatory research study.
- Shetgiri R, Kataoka SH, Ryan GW, Askew LM, Chung PJ, Schuster MA Am J Prev Med 2009 Dec 37 6 Suppl 1 S217-24
Caring for Families New to the United States.. In American Academy of Pediatrics Textbook of Pediatric Care, 2nd edition.
Shetgiri R, Geltman PL, Flores G. (In Press). Elk Grove Village, IL, American Academy of Pediatrics
Diversity and Cultural Issues in Early Detection and Intervention.. In Identifying and Addressing Developmental-Behavioral Problems: A Practical Guide for Medical and Non-medical Professionals, Trainees, Researchers and Advocates.
Shetgiri R, Flores G, Aydin M, et. al. (2013). Nolensville, TN., PEDStest.com, LLC.
Honors & Awards
- Gold Humanism in Medicine Award
- Academic Pediatric Association (2008)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Texas Medical Association