Dr. Zechner is originally from Germany and completed his medical school and research doctorate at the University of Freiburg, combined with a research fellowship at Yale University. After a medical internship at the University of Würzburg, he completed a postdoctoral fellowship in the laboratory of Dr. Daniel P. Kelly at Washington University in St. Louis and the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute at Lake Nona. Subsequently, he moved to UT Southwestern to complete his clinical training in internal medicine and endocrinology as a member of the Physician-Scientist Training Program. He joined the laboratory of Drs. David J. Mangelsdorf and Steven A. Kliewer to study intestinal hormones and their actions on energy and phosphate metabolism. In his spare time, Dr. Zechner enjoys biking in the Texas heat, playing and watching soccer, and taking advantage of the great cultural opportunities that Dallas offers, especially the symphony.
- Energy Metabolism
- Gut Hormones
- Phosphate Metabolism
- Structural insights into gene repression by the orphan nuclear receptor SHP.
- Zhi X, Zhou XE, He Y, Zechner C, Suino-Powell KM, Kliewer SA, Melcher K, Mangelsdorf DJ, Xu HE Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Jan 111 2 839-44
- Uncoupling protein downregulation in doxorubicin-induced heart failure improves mitochondrial coupling but increases reactive oxygen species generation.
- Bugger H, Guzman C, Zechner C, Palmeri M, Russell KS, Russell RR Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 2011 Jun 67 6 1381-8
- Total skeletal muscle PGC-1 deficiency uncouples mitochondrial derangements from fiber type determination and insulin sensitivity.
- Zechner C, Lai L, Zechner JF, Geng T, Yan Z, Rumsey JW, Collia D, Chen Z, Wozniak DF, Leone TC, Kelly DP Cell Metab. 2010 Dec 12 6 633-42
- Functional protein expression of multiple sodium channel alpha- and beta-subunit isoforms in neonatal cardiomyocytes.
- Kaufmann SG, Westenbroek RE, Zechner C, Maass AH, Bischoff S, Muck J, Wischmeyer E, Scheuer T, Maier SK J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 2010 Jan 48 1 261-9
- Transcriptional coactivators PGC-1alpha and PGC-lbeta control overlapping programs required for perinatal maturation of the heart.
- Lai L, Leone TC, Zechner C, Schaeffer PJ, Kelly SM, Flanagan DP, Medeiros DM, Kovacs A, Kelly DP Genes Dev. 2008 Jul 22 14 1948-61
- A role for the transcriptional coactivator PGC-1alpha in muscle refueling.
- Wende AR, Schaeffer PJ, Parker GJ, Zechner C, Han DH, Chen MM, Hancock CR, Lehman JJ, Huss JM, McClain DA, Holloszy JO, Kelly DP J. Biol. Chem. 2007 Dec 282 50 36642-51
- Hyperglycemia during cardiopulmonary bypass is an independent risk factor for mortality in patients undergoing cardiac surgery.
- Doenst T, Wijeysundera D, Karkouti K, Zechner C, Maganti M, Rao V, Borger MA J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2005 Oct 130 4 1144
- Discrepancy between GLUT4 translocation and glucose uptake after ischemia.
- Zaha V, Nitschke R, Göbel H, Fischer-Rasokat U, Zechner C, Doenst T Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2005 Oct 278 1-2 129-37
- AMP-activated protein kinase mediates ischemic glucose uptake and prevents postischemic cardiac dysfunction, apoptosis, and injury.
- Russell RR, Li J, Coven DL, Pypaert M, Zechner C, Palmeri M, Giordano FJ, Mu J, Birnbaum MJ, Young LH J. Clin. Invest. 2004 Aug 114 4 495-503
- The role of calcium in the regulation of glucose uptake in isolated working rat heart.
- Zechner C, Beyersdorf F, Doenst T Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2002 Mar 232 1-2 75-80
Honors & Awards
- Research Productivity and Accomplishment Award
UT Southwestern, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology (2014)
- Best Presentation by an Endocrinology Fellow
UT Southwestern, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology (2013)
- Research Scholarship
German Research Foundation (2006-2008)
- Scholarship for Participation in the Biomedical Sciences Exchange Program (BMEP)
German Academic Exchange Service (2000-2001)
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (2013)
- American Diabetes Association (2011)
- Endocrine Society (2011)
- American Medical Association (2010)
- Texas Medical Association (2009)