E. Sherwood Brown, M.D., Ph.D., is Professor of Psychiatry with Tenure, Vice Chair for Faculty Research Development, Chief of the Division of Bipolar Disorders, and Director of the Psychoneuroendocrine Research Program at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He received B.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Chemistry from Texas Christian University. He received an M.D. degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, and completed a psychiatry residency, on the research track, at UT Southwestern Medical Center followed by a research fellowship. He is board certified in psychiatry and psychosomatic medicine.
He serves on several journal editorial boards including Biological Psychiatry, Journal of Affective Disorders and Journal of Dual Diagnosis. Dr. Brown’s research focuses on comorbidities of mood disorders including medical illness and substance abuse. He has had numerous grants from NIH and private foundations, including grants from NIAAA and NIDA examining the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance dependence, a grant from NHLBI examining the treatment of depressed asthma patients a grant from NIMH exaploring interventions to protect th brain from the effects of corticosteroid excess, and a grant from NCCIH examining a novel botanical agent. He has published over 130 research papers, books, chapters and reviews.
|Medical School||University of Texas Medical School at Houston (1993)|
|Internship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Psychiatry|
|Residency||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Psychiatry|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1999), Psychiatry|
- Depression in asthma patients
- Effects of corticosteroids on the hippocampus
- Treatment of bipolar depression
- Treatment of patients with bipolar disorder and substance abuse
- A randomized, placebo-controlled proof-of-concept, crossover trial of phenytoin for hydrocortisone-induced declarative memory changes.
- Brown ES, Lu H, Denniston D, Uh J, Thomas BP, Carmody TJ, Auchus RJ, Diaz-Arrastia R, Tamminga C J Affect Disord 2013 Feb
- Relationship between asthma and cognition: the Cooper Center Longitudinal Study.
- Caldera-Alvarado G, Khan DA, Defina LF, Pieper A, Brown ES Allergy 2013 Feb
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of citicoline for bipolar and unipolar depression and methamphetamine dependence.
- Brown ES, Gabrielson B J Affect Disord 2012 Dec 143 1-3 257-60
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, trial of lamotrigine therapy in bipolar disorder, depressed or mixed phase and cocaine dependence.
- Brown ES, Sunderajan P, Hu LT, Sowell SM, Carmody TJ Neuropsychopharmacology 2012 Oct 37 11 2347-54
- Effects of lamotrigine on hippocampal activation in corticosteroid-treated patients.
- Brown ES, Zaidel L, Allen G, McColl R, Vazquez M, Ringe WK J Affect Disord 2010 Nov 126 3 415-9
- Effects of glucocorticoids on mood, memory, and the hippocampus. Treatment and preventive therapy.
- Brown ES Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2009 Oct 1179 41-55
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of quetiapine in outpatients with bipolar disorder and alcohol use disorders
- Brown ES, Garza M, Carmody T The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry In Press
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of citicoline add-on therapy in outpatients with bipolar disorder and cocaine dependence.
- Brown ES, Gorman AR, Hynan LS Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology In Press
- Factitious angioedema: a mimic of refractory "angioedema".
- Feldman MF, Khan DA, Brown ES, Bernstein JA J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2014 Nov-Dec 2 6 795-7
- Hippocampal Volume in Healthy Controls Given 3-Day Stress Doses of Hydrocortisone.
- Brown ES, Jeon-Slaughter H, Lu H, Jamadar R, Issac S, Shad M, Denniston D, Tamminga C, Nakamura A, Thomas BP Neuropsychopharmacology 2014 Nov
Honors & Awards
- Gerald L. Klerman Award
for clinical research from National Alliance for Research in Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) (2002)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Travel Fellowship
to American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Annual Meetingtg (1999)
- Lilly Fellowship Travel Award
to Society of Biological Psychiatry Annual Convention (1998)
- New Investigator Award
from New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit (NCDEU) (1997)
- Texas Medical Association (1993)
- Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- American Psychiatric Association
- Research Society on Alcoholism
- Society of Biological Psychiatry