J. Andrew Bird, M.D. graduated from Texas A&M University in 1999 and from the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio in 2003. He completed a Pediatrics residency in 2006 and then an Allergy and Immunology fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in 2008. He was the first recipient of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology/Food Allergy Initiative Howard Gittis Memorial Award in 2008, which allowed him to complete a clinical research fellowship in food allergy under the direction of Dr. Wesley Burks at Duke University in 2009.
Dr. Bird joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2009. He is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine, Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care, and Director of the Food Allergy Center at Children’s Medical Center. Dr. Bird’s research interests are in understanding and treating life-threatening reactions to foods, and he is currently working with colleagues in several ongoing clinical trials using food proteins for immunotherapy.
- Medical School
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (2003)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2006), Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Allergy & Immunology
- Research Fellowship
- Duke University Medical Center (2009), Allergy & Immunology
- Food allergy treatment
- Life-threatening reactions to foods
- Food allergy needs assessment, training curriculum, and knowledge assessment for child care.
- Lanser BJ, Covar R, Bird JA Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2016 Apr
- Approach to evaluation and management of a patient with multiple food allergies.
- Bird JA Allergy Asthma Proc 2016 Mar 37 2 86-91
- Tolerance of a high-protein baked-egg product in egg-allergic children.
- Saifi M, Swamy N, Crain M, Brown LS, Bird JA Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2016 Jan
- Clinical management of food allergy.
- Bird JA, Lack G, Perry TT J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2015 Jan-Feb 3 1 1-11
- Modified peanut oral immunotherapy protocol safely and effectively induces desensitization.
- Bird JA, Feldman M, Arneson A, Dougherty I, Brown LS, Burk CM, Kulis M, Burks W, Gill M J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2015 Jan
- Current opinion and review on peanut oral immunotherapy.
- Deol S, Bird JA Hum Vaccin Immunother 2014 Oct 10 10 3017-21
- Food Allergen Panel Testing Often Results in Misdiagnosis of Food Allergy.
- Bird JA, Crain M, Varshney P J. Pediatr. 2014 Sep
- Winter birth in inner-city asthmatic children is associated with increased food allergen sensitization risk.
- Bird JA, Wang J, Visness CM, Calatroni A, Sampson HA, Gruchalla R J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2014 Jun
- Oral immunotherapy for food allergy, ready for prime time? Heated egg and milk.
- Feldman MF, Bird JA Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2014 May 14 5 436
- Identification of peanuts and tree nuts: are allergists smarter than their patients?
- Kao L, Bhangoo PS, Roy L, Bird JA Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2013 Oct 111 4 282-5
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2014-2015)
- Mom-Approved Doctor
Dallas Child Magazine (2014)
- Winn Master Physician in Food Allergy
Children's Medical Center (2014)
- Super Doctor - Texas Rising Stars
Texas Monthly Magazine (2012-2015)
- Young Faculty Support Award
American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2012)
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Moms & Family Magazine (2011-2013)
- Honorary Medical Chair
FAAN Walk (2011)
- NIH Pediatric Loan Repayment Program Award
- Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Howard Gittis Memorial Award
- Texas Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society (2010)
- American Medical Association (2008-2010)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2003)