Frederick J. Bonte, MD, FACR, FACNP, former Dean of the UT Southwestern Medical School, has been the Director of the Nuclear Medicine Center since 1980 and currently serves as Senior Investigator with the Alzheimer’s Disease Center (Clinical Core). He is also an Adjunct Professor of Behavioral Science at the University of Texas at Dallas. Throughout a varied and distinguished career in Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Dr. Bonte’s continuing research has furthered the clinical use of various radiologic tools and techniques such as SPECT imaging with SPM in differential diagnosis of diseases such as Alzheimer’s and FTD. Dr. Bonte maintains an active teaching and mentoring profile. As a founding member and Diplomate of the American Board of Nuclear Medicine, Diplomate and Trustee of the American Board of Radiology, Consultant to the US Veterans Administration, and consultant to the Department of Energy: Los Alamos Meson Physics Facility Advisory Committee on Radioisotopes, Dr. Bonte has made significant contributions which have encouraged a broad range of radiologic research. HONORS AND AWARDS: While serving as Dean of the UT Southwestern Medical School (1973 to 1980), Dr. Bonte was honored by having the library at Parkland Hospital named after him. He is also a recipient of the the Dr. Jack Krohmer Professorship in Radiation Physics chair, was a previously honored of the Effie and Wofford Cain Distinguished Chair in Diagnostic Imaging, and the Roentgen Centennial Medal, and De Hevesy Award by the Society of Nuclear Medicine, and the President’s Award of the American College of Nuclear Physicians. CURRENT RESEARCH: Dr. Bonte is a senior investigator in the Clinical Core of the NIH grant, SPECT Imaging in the Dementias (PI: R. Rosenberg, MD) which is entering its 15th year. ADDITIONAL published significant research results include: 1. Bonte FJ, Tintner R, Weiner MF, Bigio EH, White CLIII. Brain blood-flow in the dementias - SPECT with histopathologic correlation. Radiology 1993;186:361-5. 2. Eckard DA, Purdy PD, Bonte F. Crossed cerebellar diaschisis and loss of consciousness during temporary balloon occlusion of the internal carotid artery. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 1992;13:55-7. 3. Bonte FJ, Harris TS, Roney CA, Hynan LS. Posterior cingulate sign in a differential diagnosis between alzheimer’s #39;disease and frontotemporal diseases. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2004;In Press. 4. Bonte FJ, Weiner MF, Bigio EH, White CLIII. SPECT imaging in dementias. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2001;42:1131-2. 5. Bonte FJ, Weiner M, Harris TS, Bigio EH, White CLIII. SPECT in the differential diagnosis of the dementias: 88 patients with histopathological correlation. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2002;43:243P. 6. Bonte FJ, Devous MD, Chehabi HH, Ross ED. SPECT study of regional cerebral blood-flow in dementia. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 1986;27:732-3. 7. Bonte FJ, Harris TS, Hynan LS, Bigio EH, White CL III. Tc-99m SPECT in the Differential Diagnosis of the Dementias with Histopathological Confirmation. Clin Nuclear Med. 2006; 31:376-378
|Undergraduate||Case Western Reserve University (1942)|
|Medical School||Case Western Reserve University (1945)|
- Development of scanning tracers for Alzheimer's disease
- Differential Diagnosis of Dementias (AD, FTD, etc)
- Experimental functional and quantitative brain imaging; dementias and affective disorders.
- Nanoparticles to cross the blood/brain barrier
- The effect of acetazolamide on regional cerebral blood flow in patients with Alzheimer's disease or stroke as measured by single-photon emission computed tomography.
- Bonte FJ, Devous MD Sr, Reisch JS, Ajmani AK, Weiner MF, Hom J, Tintner R Invest Radiol 1989 24 99-103
- SPECT study of regional cerebral blood flow in Alzheimer?s disease.
- Bonte FJ, Ross ED, Chehabi HH, Devous MD Sr J Comput Assist Tomogr 1986 10 579-583
- Single-photon tomographic study of regional cerebral blood flow in stroke.
- Bonte FJ, Stokely EM J Nucl Med 1981 22 1049-1053
- Distributions of several agents useful in imaging myocardial infarcts.
- Bonte FJ, Parkey RW, Graham KD, Moore JG J Nucl Med 1975 16 132-135
- A new method for radionuclide imaging of myocardial infarcts.
- Bonte FJ, Parkey RW, Graham KD, Moore JG, Stokely EM Radiology 1974 110 473-474
- Tc-99m SPECT in the Differential Diagnosis of the Dementias with Histopathological Confirmation
- Bonte FJ, Harris TS, Hynan LS, Bigio EH, White CL III Clin Nuclear Med 2006; 31: 376-378
- Differential Diagnosis Between Alzheimer’s and Frontotemporal Disease by the Posterior Cingulate Sign
- Bonte FJ, Thomas TS, Roney CA, Hynan LS The Journal of Nuclear Medicine May 2004 45 771-774
- Occipital brain perfusion deficits in children with major depressive disorder.
- Bonte FJ, Trivedi MH, Devous MD Sr, Harris TS, Payne JK, Weinberg WA, Haley RW J Nucl Med 2001 42 1053-1057
- Brain blood flow in the dementias: SPECT with histopathologic correlation in 54 patients.
- Bonte FJ, Weiner MF, Bigio EH, White CL III Radiology 1997 202 793-797
- Familial dementia due to adult polyglucosan body disease.
- Bigio EH, Weiner MF, Bonte FJ, White CL III Clin Neuropathol 1997 15 227-234
Honors & Awards
- President's Award
Highest Award, American College of Nuclear Physicians (1997)
- De Hevesy Award
Nuclear Medicine Pioneer, Society of Nuclear Medicine (1995)
- Roentgen Centennial Medal
- Krohmer Professorship in Radiation Physics
- Effie and Wofford Cain Distinguished Chair in Diagnostic Imaging
1990 - 1994 (1990)
- American College of Nuclear Physicians (Fellow)
- American College of Radiology (Fellow)
- American Medical Association
- Radiological Society of North America
- Society of Nuclear Medicine