Dr Vinai Modem is interested in understanding the impact of acute kidney injury and fluid overload on the outcomes in the intensive care unit. He is actively involved in multiple observational studies to achieve this goal. He is also interested in early identification of acute kidney injury in children undergoing cardiac surgery as well as other critically ill children. He is involved with prospective studies to evaluate the utility of newer biomarkers such as Cystatin C in the early identification of acute kidney injury. His other research efforts focus on identifying and effectively managing fluid overload and optimizing the use of continuous renal replacement therapy in children with critical illness.
|Medical School||Bangalore Medical College (1994)|
|Residency||Brooklyn Hospital Center (2000), Pediatrics|
|Fellowship||Children's Hospital of Buffalo (2005), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern / Children's Medical Center (2010), Pediatric Nephrology|
|Graduate School||UT Southwestern Medical Center (2013)|
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy
- Fluid Overload in Critically Ill Children
- Timing of Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy and Mortality in Critically Ill Children.
- Modem V, Thompson M, Gollhofer D, Dhar AV, Quigley R Crit. Care Med. 2013 Nov
- Serum Cystatin C as an Early Marker of Neutrophil Gelatinase-associated Lipocalin-positive Acute Kidney Injury Resulting from Cardiopulmonary Bypass in Infants with Congenital Heart Disease.
- Herbert C, Patel M, Nugent A, Dimas VV, Guleserian KJ, Quigley R, Modem V Congenit Heart Dis 2015 Feb
- Incidence of acute kidney injury following cardiac catheterization prior to cardiopulmonary bypass in children.
- Huggins N, Nugent A, Modem V, Rodriguez JS, Forbess J, Scott W, Dimas VV Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2014 Jan
- Using noninvasive hemoglobin measurements to estimate measured hemoglobin in a pediatric hemodialysis unit.
- Stavinoha A, Modem V, Quigley R Hemodial Int 2013 Oct 17 Suppl 1 S7-S10
- Recurrence of focal segmental glomerulosclerosis in renal allograft: an in-depth review.
- Vinai M, Waber P, Seikaly MG Pediatr Transplant 2010 May 14 3 314-25
- Growth in children after renal transplantation: An update
- Vinai M. Modini, Mouin G Seikaly D & T 2010 39 12 516-521
Chronic Kidney Disease, Dialysis and Renal Transplantation. In Roger's Textbook of Pediatric Intensive Care
Vinai Modem, Robert Woroniecki, Fangming Lin (2015). Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- Annual Scientific Award
Society for Critical Care Medicine (2015)
- Georgia Fieldsend Research Award
International Conference on Pediatric CRRT (2015)
- Travel Award
Pediatric CRRT Foundation (2010)
- First Place
Annual Resident Research Presentations, Brooklyn Hospital Center (2000)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Pediatric Nephrology
- Society of Critical Care Medicine