Dr. Amit Mehta is a graduate of Vanderbilt University and the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine. He completed his internship and residency in Pediatrics at LeBonheur and St. Jude’s Children’s Hospitals at the University of Tennessee – Memphis. He came to UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2008.
He is currently part of the Department of Pediatrics faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center and works as a hospitalist at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas and Plano. His interests include inpatient pediatric care, medical education, and quality/systems improvement. He serves as teaching faculty on inpatient pediatric services for medical students, pediatric residents, and family medicine residents. He was nominated for the UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers (SWAT) Medical Student Outstanding Teacher Award in 2015. His interests in education revolve around clinical reasoning and delivery of cost-effective care.
In addition to his clinical and teaching responsibilities, he serves as the lead for the Clinical Operations Workgroup at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas, Co-Chair of the Inpatient Leadership Workgroup, Chair of the Utilization Management Committee at Children’s Medical Center of Plano, and Chair of the Urinary Tract Infection Guidelines Committee of Children’s Medical Center of Dallas. In addition, he serves on the Event Investigation Oversight Committee and Utilization Management Committee at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas. He provides backup coverage for the Medical Director of Inpatient Services and Patient Access of Children’s Medical Center.
- Medical School
- University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (2005)
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (2006), Pediatrics
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (2008), Pediatrics
- Clinical Effectiveness & Efficiency
- Patient throughput
- Quality Improvement
- Systems Improvement
- Inpatient Bronchiolitis Guideline Implementation and Resource Utilization.
- Mittal V, Darnell C, Walsh B, Mehta A, Badawy M, Morse R, Pop R, Tidwell J, Sheehan M, McDermott S, Cannon C, Kahn J Pediatrics 2014 Feb
- Pediatric renal abscess: a 10-year single-center retrospective analysis.
- Seguias L, Srinivasan K, Mehta A Hosp Pediatr 2012 Jul 2 3 161-6
- Serial determination of glomerular filtration rate in conscious mice using FITC-inulin clearance.
- Qi Z, Whitt I, Mehta A, Jin J, Zhao M, Harris RC, Fogo AB, Breyer MD Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 2004 Mar 286 3 F590-6
- olig2 is required for zebrafish primary motor neuron and oligodendrocyte development.
- Park HC, Mehta A, Richardson JS, Appel B Dev. Biol. 2002 Aug 248 2 356-68
Honors & Awards
- SWAT Nominee for Outstanding Teacher Award, Medical Student Category
- Extra Mile Award
University of Tennessee, Department of Pediatrics (2008)
- Blanche Huls Scholarship
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (2004)
- American Academy of Pediatrics - Section on Hospital Medicine (2009)
- Dallas County Medical Association (2009)
- Society of Hospitalist Medicine (2009)
- Texas Medical Association (2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2005)
- American Medical Association (2001-2011)
- Academic Pediatric Association