Dr. Lakshmi Raman’s interest is in brain injury and the care of ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) patients. She has concentrated her lab interest in the effect of chronic hypoxia on the brain to her clinical expertise in critical care medicine.
As the Medical Director of the ECMO program and the ICU liaison for trauma patients at Children’s Health, she has focused her interest in the development of the program and advancing the field through research in these areas. She has been involved in doing some prospective studies in patients on ECMO and a study comparing different concentrations of hypertonic saline in the management of intracranial hypertension in traumatic brain injury. She is also an active member in the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization helping with their educational goals.
- Medical School
- Madras Medical College, University of Madras (1989)
- State University New York Downstate (1998), Pediatrics
- State University New York Downstate (2001), Pediatrics
- University of Minnesota Medical School (2004), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Brain Injury
- Near infrared spectroscopy
- Traumatic brain injury
- Perinatal chronic hypoxia induces cortical inflammation, hypomyelination, and peripheral myelin-specific T cell autoreactivity.
- Ortega SB, Kong X, Venkataraman R, Savedra AM, Kernie SG, Stowe AM, Raman L J. Leukoc. Biol. 2015 Jun
- Erythropoietin-mediated neuroprotection in a pediatric mouse model of chronic hypoxia.
- Chung E, Kong X, Goldberg MP, Stowe AM, Raman L Neurosci. Lett. 2015 Apr 597 54-59
- Assessments of cerebral blood flow, hemodynamics and metabolism in patients on ECMO using TCD and NIRS
- Tian F, Raman L, Golla S, Liu H. Biomedical Optics 2014
- Pharmacological inhibition of the mTOR pathway impairs hippocampal development in mice.
- Raman L, Kong X, Kernie SG Neurosci. Lett. 2013 Feb
- Chronic hypoxia impairs murine hippocampal development and depletes the postnatal progenitor pool by attenuating Mammalian target of rapamycin signaling.
- Raman L, Kong X, Gilley JA, Kernie SG Pediatr. Res. 2011 Aug 70 2 159-65
- Effects of chronic hypoxia in developing rats on dendritic morphology of the CA1 subarea of the hippocampus and on fear-potentiated startle.
- Raman L, Hamilton KL, Gewirtz JC, Rao R Brain Res. 2008 Jan 1190 167-74
- The role of chronic hypoxia in the development of neurocognitive abnormalities in preterm infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia.
- Raman L, Georgieff MK, Rao R Dev Sci 2006 Jul 9 4 359-67
- In vivo effect of chronic hypoxia on the neurochemical profile of the developing rat hippocampus.
- Raman L, Tkac I, Ennis K, Georgieff MK, Gruetter R, Rao R Brain Res. Dev. Brain Res. 2005 May 156 2 202-9
Honors & Awards
- Press Ganey Award for Outstanding Patient Care
Children's Medical Center (2011)
- Principal Investigator
Minneapolis Medical Research Foundation (2007)
- Prinicipal Investigator
Vikings Children’s Fund-Grand in aid (2004)
Center for Neurobehavioral Development Research Grant (2002)
- Jay H. Fisher Memorial Award for excellence in teaching
SUNY, Brooklyn (2001)
- Sixth Annual Residents Night Award
Academy of Medicine of Richmond, NY (2001)
- Distinction in Surgery
Universtiy of Madras (1988)
- Distinction in Anatomy and Biochemistry
Universtiy of Madras (1984)
- Society of Pediatric Research (2007)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Center for Neurobehavioral Development
- Extracorporeal Life Support Organization
- Indian Medical Association
- Society of Critical Care Medicine