Dr. Lakshmi Raman’s interest is in brain injury and the care of ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) patients. She has concentrated her lab interest in the effect of chronic hypoxia on the brain to her clinical expertise in critical care medicine.
As the Medical Director of the ECMO program and the ICU liaison for trauma patients at Children’s Health, she has focused her interest in the development of the program and advancing the field through research in these areas. She has been involved in doing some prospective studies in patients on ECMO and a study comparing different concentrations of hypertonic saline in the management of intracranial hypertension in traumatic brain injury. She is also an active member in the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization helping with their educational goals.
- Medical School
- University of Madras Medical College (1989)
- State University New York Downstate (1998), Pediatrics
- State University New York Downstate (2001), Pediatrics
- University of Minnesota Medical School (2004), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Near infrared spectroscopy
- Traumatic brain injury
- Pediatric Extracorporeal Life Support Organization Registry International Report 2016.
- Barbaro RP, Paden ML, Guner YS, Raman L, Ryerson LM, Alexander P, Nasr VG, Bembea MM, Rycus PT, Thiagarajan RR ASAIO J. 2017 May
- An International Survey on Ventilator Practices Among Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Centers.
- Jenks CL, Tweed J, Gigli KH, Venkataraman R, Raman L ASAIO J. 2017 May
- Pre-ECMO coagulopathy does not increase the occurrence of hemorrhage during extracorporeal support.
- Anton-Martin P, Raman L, Thatte N, Tweed J, Modem V, Journeycake J Int J Artif Organs 2017 Apr 0
- High Hemoglobin Is an Independent Risk Factor for the Development of Hemolysis During Pediatric Extracorporeal Life Support.
- Jenks CL, Zia A, Venkataraman R, Raman L J Intensive Care Med 2017 Jan 885066617708992
- Regional cerebral abnormalities measured by frequency-domain near-infrared spectroscopy in pediatric patients during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.
- Tian F, Jenks C, Potter D, Miles D, Raman L ASAIO J. 2016 Dec
- Successful engraftment after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation with infusion of donor stem cells through the extracorporeal membrane oxygenation circuit.
- Anton-Martin P, Darnell-Bowens C, Aquino VM, Jones T, Raman L Indian J Crit Care Med 2016 Oct 20 10 617-619
- Year in Review 2015: Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation.
- Raman L, Dalton HJ Respir Care 2016 Jul 61 7 986-91
- Perinatal chronic hypoxia induces cortical inflammation, hypomyelination, and peripheral myelin-specific T cell autoreactivity.
- Ortega SB, Kong X, Venkataraman R, Savedra AM, Kernie SG, Stowe AM, Raman L J. Leukoc. Biol. 2015 Jun
- Erythropoietin-mediated neuroprotection in a pediatric mouse model of chronic hypoxia.
- Chung E, Kong X, Goldberg MP, Stowe AM, Raman L Neurosci. Lett. 2015 Apr 597 54-59
- Assessments of cerebral blood flow, hemodynamics and metabolism in patients on ECMO using TCD and NIRS
- Tian F, Raman L, Golla S, Liu H. Biomedical Optics 2014 Apr
Honors & Awards
- Center of Excellence with special recognition of the ECMO team
Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO) (2014)
- Press Ganey Award for Outstanding Patient Care
Children's Medical Center (2011)
- Principal Investigator
Minneapolis Medical Research Foundation (2007)
- Principal Investigator
Vikings Childrens Fund-Grand in aid (2004)
Center for Neurobehavioral Development Research Grant (2002)
- Jay H. Fisher Memorial Award for excellence in teaching
SUNY, Brooklyn (2001)
- Sixth Annual Residents Night Award
Academy of Medicine of Richmond, NY (2001)
- Distinction in Surgery
Universtiy of Madras (1988)
- Distinction in Anatomy and Biochemistry
Universtiy of Madras (1984)
- Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (2013)
- Society of Pediatric Research (2008)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2000)