Dr. Aquino clinical interest focus on pediatric bone marrow transplantation. He is active in the Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Consortium. He has served as PI on several research protocols, is a member of the Data Safety Management Committee of several protocols, and is a member of the Oncology and Supportive Care Subcommittees of the group. He is also collaborating as institutional PI on several studies in non-myeloablative transplant and unrelated umbilical cord blood transplant. His other research interests have focused on the prevention and management of infection in children with cancer receiving chemotherapy and those who undergo hematopoietic stem cell transplant. He has performed research in immune reconstitution, management of infections, and developed protocols for outpatient management of febrile neutropenia. He is also an active member of the Children's Oncology Group and has served as a PI of a multi-institutional phase I study for the group. He is currently the co-director of the contract COG Phase I center and is a member of the Developmental Therapeutics Committee.
- Medical School
- State University of New York - Syracuse (1989)
- State University of New York - Syracuse (1992), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (1995), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Development of stem cell transplant protocols for children with malignant and non-malignant disorders.
- Development of treatment strategies to manage the complications of stem cell transplant and chemotherapy.
- Management of bacterial and fungal infections in children with malignancies.
- Outpatient management of febrile neutropenia in selected patients with cancer.
- Phase I and II trials of new chemotherapeutic agents in children with cancer.
- Evaluation of thymic output by measurement of T-cell-receptor gene rearrangement excisional circles (TREC) in patients who have received fludarabine.
- Aquino VM, Douek DC, Berryman B, Johnson M, Jain VK, Collins RH Leuk. Lymphoma 2003 Feb 44 2 343-8
- A prospective double-blind randomized trial of urokinase flushes to prevent bacteremia resulting from luminal colonization of subcutaneous central venous catheters.
- Aquino VM, Sandler ES, Mustafa MM, Steele JW, Buchanan GR J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2002 Dec 24 9 710-3
- Clinical parameters associated with low bacteremia risk in 1100 pediatric oncology patients with fever and neutropenia.
- Baorto EP, Aquino VM, Mullen CA, Buchanan GR, DeBaun MR Cancer 2001 Aug 92 4 909-13
- Feasibility of oral ciprofloxacin for the outpatient management of febrile neutropenia in selected children with cancer.
- Aquino VM, Herrera L, Sandler ES, Buchanan GR Cancer 2000 Apr 88 7 1710-4
- Carboplatin for the treatment of children with newly diagnosed optic chiasm gliomas: a phase II study.
- Aquino VM, Fort DW, Kamen BA J. Neurooncol. 1999 Feb 41 3 255-9
- Safety, pharmacokinetics and efficacy of palifermin in children and adolescents with acute leukemias undergoing myeloablative therapy and allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Consortium Trial.
- Morris J, Rudebeck M, Neudorf S, Moore T, Duerst R, Shah AJ, Graham M, Aquino V, Morris C, Olsson B Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2016 Mar
- Incidence and outcome of rhinovirus in children undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- DeMasi J, Aquino V, Simms-Waldrip TR, Koh AY, Holmes S. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation 2015 15 2 S248
- One-unit versus two-unit cord-blood transplantation for hematologic cancers.
- Wagner JE, Eapen M, Carter S, Wang Y, Schultz KR, Wall DA, Bunin N, Delaney C, Haut P, Margolis D, Peres E, Verneris MR, Walters M, Horowitz MM, Kurtzberg J N. Engl. J. Med. 2014 Oct 371 18 1685-94
- Transplantation outcomes for severe combined immunodeficiency, 2000-2009.
- Pai SY, Logan BR, Griffith LM, Buckley RH, Parrott RE, Dvorak CC, Kapoor N, Hanson IC, Filipovich AH, Jyonouchi S, Sullivan KE, Small TN, Burroughs L, Skoda-Smith S, Haight AE, Grizzle A, Pulsipher MA, Chan KW, Fuleihan RL, Haddad E, Loechelt B, Aquino VM, Gillio A, Davis J, Knutsen A, Smith AR, Moore TB, Schroeder ML, Goldman FD, Connelly JA, Porteus MH, Xiang Q, Shearer WT, Fleisher TA, Kohn DB, Puck JM, Notarangelo LD, Cowan MJ, O'Reilly RJ N. Engl. J. Med. 2014 Jul 371 5 434-46
- Intravenous Pentamidine Is Safe and Effective as Primary Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis in Children and Adolescents Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation.
- Demasi JM, Cox JA, Leonard D, Koh AY, Aquino VM Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2013 Mar
- Society of Pediatric Research (2002)
- American Society of Hematology (1997)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (1996)
- Dallas County Medical Society and Texas Medical Association (1996)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1989)
- Children's Oncology Group