Dr. Massimo Attanasio received his M.D. degree from the II University of Napoli, Italy cum laude in 1990, with a bioengineering thesis on mutated transcriptional terminators in E. coli. After completing a residency in Pediatrics at the University of Parma, in 1994 he served as an Attendant in Pediatrics and Neonatology in the Hospital S. Maria Nuova in Reggio Emilia, Italy. In 2002 he joined as a postdoctoral fellow the laboratory of Dr. Friedhelm Hildebrandt at University of Michigan, where he studied the genetics of inheritable kidney diseases. During this period he participated to the identification of a gene that when mutated cause congenital nephrotic syndrome and of several genes that cause nephronophthisis, a rare autosomal recessive disease that inexorably leads to renal insufficiency. In 2008 Dr. Attanasio joined the faculty of the University of Texas - Southwestern Medical Center as an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine/Nephrology and Human Genetics at the McDermott Center for Growth and Development. In his laboratory, Dr. Attanasio is pursuing the discovery of new genes that cause inheritable kidney diseases and uses mouse models to uncover the molecular mechanisms that lead to progressive kidney cystic disease and fibrosis and glomerular microangiopathies. In 2010 Dr. Attanasio received the Norman Siegel Research Scholar Award from the American Society of Nephrology.
- Medical School
- Unlisted - International Colle (1990), Medicine
- Cell signaling
- Cystic kidney diseases and fibrosis
- Genetics of inherited kidney diseases
- Hedgehog signaling indirectly affects tubular cell survival after obstructive kidney injury.
- Rauhauser AA, Ren C, Lu D, Li B, Zhu J, McEnery K, Vadnagara K, Zepeda-Orozco D, Zhou XJ, Lin F, Jetten AM, Attanasio M Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 2015 Aug ajprenal.00232.2015
- Transcription Factor HNF-1ß Regulates MicroRNA-200 Expression Through a Long Noncoding RNA.
- Hajarnis SS, Patel V, Aboudehen K, Attanasio M, Cobo-Stark P, Pontoglio M, Igarashi P J. Biol. Chem. 2015 Aug
- Ciliopathies and DNA damage: an emerging nexus.
- Attanasio M Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2015 Jul 24 4 366-70
- Mutations in ANKS6 Cause a Nephronophthisis-Like Phenotype with ESRD.
- Taskiran EZ, Korkmaz E, Gucer S, Kosukcu C, Kaymaz F, Koyunlar C, Bryda EC, Chaki M, Lu D, Vadnagara K, Candan C, Topaloglu R, Schaefer F, Attanasio M, Bergmann C, Ozaltin F J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2014 Mar
- DGKE Variants Cause a Glomerular Microangiopathy That Mimics Membranoproliferative GN.
- Ozaltin F, Li B, Rauhauser A, An SW, Soylemezoglu O, Gonul II, Taskiran EZ, Ibsirlioglu T, Korkmaz E, Bilginer Y, Duzova A, Ozen S, Topaloglu R, Besbas N, Ashraf S, Du Y, Liang C, Chen P, Lu D, Vadnagara K, Arbuckle S, Lewis D, Wakeland B, Quigg RJ, Ransom RF, Wakeland EK, Topham MK, Bazan NG, Mohan C, Hildebrandt F, Bakkaloglu A, Huang CL, Attanasio M J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2013 Feb 24 3 377-84
- Increased hedgehog signaling in postnatal kidney results in aberrant activation of nephron developmental programs.
- Li B, Rauhauser AA, Dai J, Sakthivel R, Igarashi P, Jetten AM, Attanasio M Hum. Mol. Genet. 2011 Nov 20 21 4155-66
- The genetic components of idiopathic nephrolithiasis.
- Attanasio M. Pediatr Nephrol. June 2010 [Epub ahead of print].
- Loss of GLIS2 causes nephronophthisis in humans and mice by increased apoptosis and fibrosis.
- Attanasio M, Uhlenhaut NH, Sousa VH, O'Toole JF, Otto E, Anlag K, Klugmann C, Treier AC, Helou J, Sayer JA, Seelow D, Nürnberg G, Becker C, Chudley AE, Nürnberg P, Hildebrandt F, Treier M Nat. Genet. 2007 Aug 39 8 1018-24
- Loss of Glis2/NPHP7 causes kidney epithelial cell senescence and suppresses cyst growth in the Kif3a mouse model of cystic kidney disease.
- Lu D, Rauhauser A, Li B, Ren C, McEnery K, Zhu J, Chaki M, Vadnagara K, Elhadi S, Jetten AM, Igarashi P, Attanasio M Kidney Int. 2016 Jun 89 6 1307-23
- Loss of diacylglycerol kinase epsilon in mice causes endothelial distress and impairs glomerular Cox-2 and PGE2 production.
- Zhu J, Chaki M, Lu D, Ren C, Wang SS, Rauhauser AA, Li B, Zimmerman S, Jun B, Du Y, Vadnagara K, Wang H, Elhadi S, Quigg RJ, Topham MK, Mohan C, Ozaltin F, Zhou XJ, Marciano DK, Bazan NG, Attanasio M Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 2016 Feb ajprenal.00431.2015
Honors & Awards
- Satellite Healthcare Norman S. Coplon Extramural Research
- American Society of Nephrology Norman Siegel Research Scholar Award