I was born in the Pre-Cambrian period in Swansea, Wales, UK. I attended the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology and, after completing my PhD in 1987 on plant viral transcriptional promoters at the John Innes Institute, Norwich, UK, I spent nearly four years working at INRA, Versailles, France working on the "rol" oncogenes of Agrobacterium rhizogenes. I then spent a year 1991-1992 working on homeotic transcription factors at the John Innes Institute, Norwich, UK. In June, 1992 I started as a staff research scientist at the Institute of Food Research, Norwich, UK. In 1996, I spent four months working with Prof. Kazuei Igarashi on yeast polyamine transport in Chiba University on the east side of Tokyo Bay. I then returned to the Institute of Food Research in Norwich and continued as a PI there until March, 2010. In May 2010, I started as an Associate Professor in the Dept. of Pharmacology, UT Southwestern.
- Central South Univ, Xiang-Ya S (1983), Biochemistry
- Unlisted - College or Universi (1983), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Central South Univ, Xiang-Ya S (1988)
- Graduate School
- Unlisted - College or Universi (1988)
- Evolution of a novel lysine decarboxylase in siderophore biosynthesis.
- Burrell M, Hanfrey CC, Kinch LN, Elliott KA, Michael AJ Mol. Microbiol. 2012 Aug
- An alternative spermidine biosynthetic route is critical for growth of Campylobacter jejuni and is the dominant polyamine pathway in the human gut microbiota.
- Hanfrey CC, Pearson BM, Hazeldine S, Lee J, Gaskin DJ, Woster PM, Phillips MA, Michael AJ The Journal of biological chemistry 2011 Oct
- Molecular machines encoded by bacterially-derived multi-domain gene fusions that potentially synthesize, N-methylate and transfer long chain polyamines in diatoms.
- Michael AJ FEBS Lett. 2011 Sep 585 17 2627-34
- Independent evolutionary origins of functional polyamine biosynthetic enzyme fusions catalysing de novo diamine to triamine formation.
- Green R, Hanfrey CC, Elliott KA, McCloskey DE, Wang X, Kanugula S, Pegg AE, Michael AJ Molecular microbiology 2011 Jul 1109-24
- Evolution and multifarious horizontal transfer of an alternative biosynthetic pathway for the alternative polyamine sym-homospermidine
- Shaw, F.L., Elliot, K.A., Kinch, L.N., Fuell, C., Phillips, M.A. and Michael, A.J. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2010 285 14711-14723
- A profusion of uORF mechanisms in polyamine-responsive translational regulation
- Ivanov, I. P., Atkins, J.F. and Michael, A.J. Nucleic Acids Research 2010 38 353-359
- Evolution of substrate specificity within a diverse family of beta/alpha-barrel-fold basic amino acids: X-ray structure determination of enzymes with specificity for L-arginine and carboxynorspermidine
- Deng, X., Lee, J., Michael, A.J., Tomchick, D.R., Goldsmith, E.J., Phillips, M.A. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2010 285 25708-19
- Evolution and multiplicity of arginine decarboxylases in polyamine biosynthesis and essential role in Bacillus subtilis biofilm formation
- Burrell, M, Hanfrey, C.C., Murray, E.J., Stanley-Wall, N. and Michael, A.J. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2010 285 39224-38
- An alternative polyamine biosynthetic pathway is widespread in bacteria and essential for biofilm formation in Vibrio cholerae
- Lee, J., Sperandio, V., Frantz, D.E., Longgood, J., Camilli, A., Phillips, M.A., Michael, A. J. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2009 284 9899-9907
- A novel polyamine acyltransferase responsible for the accumulation of spermidine conjugates in Arabidopsis seed
- Luo, J., Fuell, C., Parr, A., Hill. L., Bailey, P., Elliott, K., Fairhurst, S.A., Martin, C., Michael, A.J. The Plant Cell 2009 21 318-333