Dr. Jasmin Tiro received her PhD in Behavioral Sciences from the University of Texas School of Public Health (UTSPH) and completed post-doctoral training with the National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program. In April 2008, Dr. Tiro joined the faculty at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and holds an adjoint appointment in the University of Texas-School of Public Health for the Dallas Regional Campus. Currently, Dr. Tiro is an Associate Professor in the Division of Behavioral and Communication Sciences, Department of Clinical Sciences. In the NCI-designated Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, Dr. Tiro serves as is co-leader of Population Science and Cancer Control Program with Dr. Ethan Halm (http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/simmons/research/scientific-programs/population-science/index.html).
Dr. Tiro's program focuses on multi-level intervention research directed at cancer prevention and early detection behaviors specifically among underserved populations seen by urban safety-net healthcare systems. She uses health behavior theories and health services conceptual models to identify novel patient-, provider-, and system-level intervention targets. Dr. Tiro’s work leverages quantitative and qualitative (mixed) research methods to design and evaluate behavioral interventions. She is committed toward disseminating behavioral interventions aimed at ending cancer disparities.
In terms of grant funding, Dr. Tiro is MPI on an NCI award (R01 CA178414) using mixed methods to develop a tablet-based self persuasion intervention addressing parental indecision and promoting adolescent HPV vaccination. Along with Drs. Celette Sugg Skinner and Ethan Halm, Dr. Tiro leads the Parkland-UT Southwestern PROSPR Center (U54 CA163308-S1) to understand and optimize delivery of cervical and colorectal cancer screening processes. With colleagues at University of Washington and Group Health Research Institute, Dr. Tiro is collaborating on a large, pragmatic randomized controled intervention trial of a mailed HPV self-screening kit to increase screening rates among overdue women (R01 CA168598-A1).
- Rice University (1997), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Emory University (1999), Behavioral Science
- Graduate School
- Univ of Texas Health Science C (2005), Behavioral Science
- Cancer Health Disparities
- Cancer Screening
- HPV vaccine
- Mixed Methods Research
- Developing a Tablet-Based Self-Persuasion Intervention Promoting Adolescent HPV Vaccination: Protocol for a Three-Stage Mixed-Methods Study.
- Tiro JA, Lee SC, Marks EG, Persaud D, Skinner CS, Street RL, Wiebe DJ, Farrell D, Bishop WP, Fuller S, Baldwin AS JMIR Res Protoc 2016 5 1 e19
- Promoting HPV Vaccination in Safety-Net Clinics: A Randomized Trial.
- Tiro JA, Sanders JM, Pruitt SL, Stevens CF, Skinner CS, Bishop WP, Fuller S, Persaud D Pediatrics 2015 Oct
- Unifying screening processes within the PROSPR consortium: a conceptual model for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening.
- Beaber EF, Kim JJ, Schapira MM, Tosteson AN, Zauber AG, Geiger AM, Kamineni A, Weaver DL, Tiro JA J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2015 Jun 107 6 djv120
- The Colorectal Cancer Screening Process in Community Settings: A Conceptual Model for the Population-Based Research Optimizing Screening through Personalized Regimens Consortium.
- Tiro JA, Kamineni A, Levin TR, Zheng Y, Schottinger JS, Rutter CM, Corley DA, Skinner CS, Chubak J, Doubeni CA, Halm EA, Gupta S, Wernli KJ, Klabunde C Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2014 Jun
- Competitive Testing of Health Behavior Theories: How Do Benefits, Barriers, Subjective Norm, and Intention Influence Mammography Behavior?
- Murphy CC, Vernon SW, Diamond PM, Tiro JA Ann Behav Med 2013 Jul
- Multilevel correlates for human papillomavirus vaccination of adolescent girls attending safety net clinics.
- Tiro JA, Pruitt SL, Bruce CM, Persaud D, Lau M, Vernon SW, Morrow J, Skinner CS Vaccine 2012 Mar 30 13 2368-75
- Human papillomavirus and cervical cancer behavioral surveillance in the US.
- Tiro JA, Saraiya M, Jain N, Liddon N, Cokkinides V, Lai SM, Breen N, Wideroff L Cancer 2008 Nov 113 10 Suppl 3013-30
- What do women in the U.S. know about human papillomavirus and cervical cancer?
- Tiro JA, Meissner HI, Kobrin S, Chollette V Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Feb 16 2 288-94
- Validity of Single-Item Screening for Limited Health Literacy in English and Spanish Speakers.
- Bishop WP, Craddock Lee SJ, Skinner CS, Jones TM, McCallister K, Tiro JA Am J Public Health 2016 Mar e1-e4
- The Desires of Their Hearts: The Multidisciplinary Perspectives of African Americans on End-of-Life Care in the African American Community.
- Rhodes RL, Elwood B, Lee SC, Tiro JA, Halm EA, Skinner CS Am J Hosp Palliat Care 2016 Feb
Honors & Awards
- Deans Capstone Recognition Award, Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments Program, UT Southwestern
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Center for Translational Medicine, UT Southwestern
- NCI Prevention Research Training Merit Award
- American Association for Cancer Research-American Cancer Society Scholarship for Behavioral Scientists
- Fellows Award for Research Excellence, National Institutes of Health
- International Papillomavirus Society (2015)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2008)
- American Society of Preventive Oncology (2005)
- Society of Behavioral Medicine (2005)
- American Public Health Association (1997)