Dr. Andrew Y. Koh received his bachelor’s degree in Biology from Harvard College. He was then awarded a Rhodes Scholarship and studied English Literature at Pembroke College, Oxford University. Dr. Koh obtained his MD degree from Harvard Medical School. He completed internship, residency, and chief residency at Children’s Hospital, Boston. He then completed a dual fellowship in hematology/oncology and infectious diseases at Children’s Hospital, Boston, and Dana Farber Cancer Institute. After serving as an attending physician on both the hematopoeitic stem cell transplantation service and immuncompromised infectious diseases service for five years, Dr. Koh left Harvard to become Director of Pediatric Hematopoeitic Stem Cell Transplantation at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in 2009.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1996)
- Children's Hospital of Boston - Pediatric Program (1999), Pediatric Medicine
- Children's Hospital of Boston - Pediatric Program (2000), Pediatric Medicine
- Children's Hospital Boston - Hematology/Oncology (2004), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Children's Hospital Boston - Infectious Disease (2004), Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Candida albicans pathogenesis
- Gut Microbiota (bacterial-fungal interactions)
- Host pathogen interactions
- Intestinal graft-versus-host-disease
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa pathogenesis
- Candida albicans Inhibits Pseudomonas aeruginosa Virulence through Suppression of Pyochelin and Pyoverdine Biosynthesis.
- Lopez-Medina E, Fan D, Coughlin LA, Ho EX, Lamont IL, Reimmann C, Hooper LV, Koh AY PLoS Pathog. 2015 Aug 11 8 e1005129
- Activation of HIF-1a and LL-37 by commensal bacteria inhibits Candida albicans colonization.
- Fan D, Coughlin LA, Neubauer MM, Kim J, Kim MS, Zhan X, Simms-Waldrip TR, Xie Y, Hooper LV, Koh AY Nat. Med. 2015 Jun
- Mucosal damage and neutropenia are required for Candida albicans dissemination.
- Koh AY, Köhler JR, Coggshall KT, Van Rooijen N, Pier GB PLoS Pathog. 2008 Feb 4 2 e35
- Virulence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a murine model of gastrointestinal colonization and dissemination in neutropenia.
- Koh AY, Priebe GP, Pier GB Infect. Immun. 2005 Apr 73 4 2262-72
- Antibiotic-Induced Depletion of Anti-Inflammatory Clostridia is Associated with the Development of GVHD in Pediatric Stem Cell Transplant Patients.
- Simms-Waldrip TR, Sunkersett G, Coughlin LA, Savani MR, Arana C, Kim J, Kim M, Zhan X, Greenberg DE, Xie Y, Davies SM, Koh AY Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2017 Feb
- FMAP: Functional Mapping and Analysis Pipeline for metagenomics and metatranscriptomics studies.
- Kim J, Kim MS, Koh AY, Xie Y, Zhan X BMC Bioinformatics 2016 Oct 17 1 420
- Severe Gut Microbiota Dysbiosis Is Associated With Poor Growth in Patients With Short Bowel Syndrome.
- Piper HG, Fan D, Coughlin LA, Ho EX, McDaniel MM, Channabasappa N, Kim J, Kim M, Zhan X, Xie Y, Koh AY JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2016 Jul
- Identifying host immune effectors critical for protection against Candida albicans infections.
- Koh AY Virulence 2016 Jun 0
- Murine models of Candida gastrointestinal colonization and dissemination.
- Koh AY Eukaryotic Cell 2013 Nov 12 11 1416-22
- Intravenous Pentamidine Is Safe and Effective as Primary Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis in Children and Adolescents Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation.
- Demasi JM, Cox JA, Leonard D, Koh AY, Aquino VM Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2013 Mar
Fever and Granulocytopenia; Infections in Children with Cancer. In Long SS, Pickering LK, Prober CG, eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 4th ed.
Koh AY, Pizzo PA. (2012). Elsevier Saunders; 567-578.
Infectious Disease in the Pediatric Cancer Patient. In Nathan and Oski's Hematology and Oncology of Infancy and Childhood. 8th ed.
Sung L, Fisher BT, Koh AY. (2014). Elsevier Saunders.
Infectious Complications in Pediatric Cancer Patients. In Pizzo PA, Poplack DG, eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology. 7th ed.
Ardura MI, Koh AY. (2016). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 1009-1056.
Honors & Awards
- Eleanor and Miles Shore Scholar
- Glaser Pediatric Research Network Fellowship Award
- Rhodes Scholarship
- American Society for Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2012)
- American Society of Hematology (2010)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2010)
- American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2009)
- American Society for Microbiology (2003)