Dr. Andrew Y. Koh received his bachelor’s degree in Biology from Harvard College. He was then awarded a Rhodes Scholarship and studied English Literature at Pembroke College, Oxford University. Dr. Koh obtained his MD degree from Harvard Medical School. He completed internship, residency, and chief residency at Children’s Hospital, Boston. He then completed a dual fellowship in hematology/oncology and infectious diseases at Children’s Hospital, Boston, and Dana Farber Cancer Institute. After serving as an attending physician on both the hematopoeitic stem cell transplantation service and immuncompromised infectious diseases service for five years, Dr. Koh left Harvard to become Director of Pediatric Hematopoeitic Stem Cell Transplantation at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1996)
- Children's Hospital of Boston - Pediatric Program (1999), Pediatric Medicine
- Children's Hospital of Boston - Pediatric Program (2000), Pediatric Medicine
- Children's Hospital Boston - Hematology/Oncology (2004), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Children's Hospital Boston - Infectious Disease (2004), Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Candida albicans pathogenesis
- Gut Microbiota (bacterial-fungal interactions)
- Host pathogen interactions
- Intestinal graft-versus-host-disease
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa pathogenesis
- Candida albicans Inhibits Pseudomonas aeruginosa Virulence through Suppression of Pyochelin and Pyoverdine Biosynthesis.
- Lopez-Medina E, Fan D, Coughlin LA, Ho EX, Lamont IL, Reimmann C, Hooper LV, Koh AY PLoS Pathog. 2015 Aug 11 8 e1005129
- Activation of HIF-1a and LL-37 by commensal bacteria inhibits Candida albicans colonization.
- Fan D, Coughlin LA, Neubauer MM, Kim J, Kim MS, Zhan X, Simms-Waldrip TR, Xie Y, Hooper LV, Koh AY Nat. Med. 2015 Jun
- Murine models of Candida gastrointestinal colonization and dissemination.
- Koh AY Eukaryotic Cell 2013 Nov 12 11 1416-22
- Intravenous Pentamidine Is Safe and Effective as Primary Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis in Children and Adolescents Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation.
- Demasi JM, Cox JA, Leonard D, Koh AY, Aquino VM Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2013 Mar
- Collaboration between macrophages and vaccine-induced CD4+ T cells confers protection against lethal Pseudomonas aeruginosa pneumonia during neutropenia.
- Kamei A, Wu W, Traficante DC, Koh AY, Van Rooijen N, Pier GB, Priebe GP J. Infect. Dis. 2013 Jan 207 1 39-49
- RNA isolation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonizing the murine gastrointestinal tract.
- Lopez-Medina E, Neubauer MM, Pier GB, Koh AY J Vis Exp 2011 55
- Analysis of acquisition of Pseudomonas aeruginosa gastrointestinal mucosal colonization and horizontal transmission in a murine model.
- Kamei A, Koh AY, Gadjeva M, Priebe GP, Lory S, Pier GB J. Infect. Dis. 2010 Jan 201 1 71-80
- Utility of in vivo transcription profiling for identifying Pseudomonas aeruginosa genes needed for gastrointestinal colonization and dissemination.
- Koh AY, Mikkelsen PJ, Smith RS, Coggshall KT, Kamei A, Givskov M, Lory S, Pier GB PLoS ONE 2010 5 12 e15131
- Inescapable need for neutrophils as mediators of cellular innate immunity to acute Pseudomonas aeruginosa pneumonia.
- Koh AY, Priebe GP, Ray C, Van Rooijen N, Pier GB Infect. Immun. 2009 Dec 77 12 5300-10
- Inactivation of the rhlA gene in Pseudomonas aeruginosa prevents rhamnolipid production, disabling the protection against polymorphonuclear leukocytes.
- Van Gennip M, Christensen LD, Alhede M, Phipps R, Jensen PØ, Christophersen L, Pamp SJ, Moser C, Mikkelsen PJ, Koh AY, Tolker-Nielsen T, Pier GB, Høiby N, Givskov M, Bjarnsholt T APMIS 2009 Jul 117 7 537-46
Fever and Granulocytopenia; Infections in Children with Cancer. In Long SS, Pickering LK, Prober CG, eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 4th ed.
Koh AY, Pizzo PA. (2012). Elsevier Saunders; 567-578.
Infectious Disease in the Pediatric Cancer Patient. In Orkin SH, Nathan DG, Ginsburg D, Look AT, Fisher DE, Lux SE, eds. Nathan and Oski's Hematology and Oncology of Infancy and Childhood. 8th ed.
Sung L, Fisher BT, Koh AY. (2014). Elsevier Saiunders; 2257-2266.
Honors & Awards
- Eleanor and Miles Shore Scholar
- Glaser Pediatric Research Network Fellowship Award
- Rhodes Scholarship
- American Society for Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2012)
- American Society of Hematology (2010)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2010)
- American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2009)
- American Society for Microbiology (2003)